The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New Political Party

New Political Party

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
//they can decide to opt for change or, they can meekly continuing accepting the same old same old.//

Isn't accepting the same old same old and avoiding change what conservatism is all about?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 14 April 2017 11:29:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Toni Lavis,

I guess even conservatives have to accept some change on the odd occasion. If they didn’t, then they’d all still be dressing like puritans and burning witches, or some such nonsense.

It just goes to show that, eventually, progressivism always wins in the end.

There is a certain sound of irony in the call for ‘change’ to a ‘conservative’ party. A desperate scramble to cling to the past.
Posted by AJ Philips, Friday, 14 April 2017 11:47:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Joe, got to laugh sometime. What can I say about Corny Banana and his Conservative Party, wish him luck, no way not for me. Get 500 names and you have a political party, then the real work begins.

AJ, it reminds me of Australia's greatest ever conservative leader, Sir Stanley Melbourne Bruce, 1st, and I think last, Viscount of Melbourne, Good old Stan insisted on wearing spats and a straw hat, which was considered very conservative and old fashioned even in 1929, not a good look. Poor PM Stan no only lost the 1929 election, he also lost his seat in parliament at the same time. Maybe it had something to do with the fact good old Stan choofed off to London halfway through the election campaign. Nothing like having confidence in ones own ability. Not sure what Stanley got his knighthood for, maybe it was for being a complete tosser! If Stanley was alive today he would join the Conservative Party.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 14 April 2017 1:02:56 PM
Paul,

You should read more on Bruce, he served Australia and his fellow man well.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 14 April 2017 6:53:11 PM
I have Issy, and good old Stan did serve Australia well, lived to a ripe old age. I have a very good book on Australia's PM's, given to me by the 'Old Man', fascinating reading.
Australia has been indeed fortunate to have had some extremely capable people as leaders, particularly in its formative years when the country was young and did not have the financial and economic resources it has today, it was struggling in many ways. Two events of those times could have destroyed Australia WWI and the Great Depression If you were to make a list of our finest leaders you could not leave off men like Barton, Cook, Fisher, Hughes and Sir Henry Parks although never PM did much to formulate what Australia became. Bruce also did a very good job of steering Australia through the 1920's, despite the spats and straw hat.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 15 April 2017 7:10:32 AM
I was told banana got his names on a Saturday doing the rounds of local pubs shouting drinks.
Posted by doog, Saturday, 15 April 2017 2:22:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy