The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Sharia Law is coming (or is that forbidden?)

Sharia Law is coming (or is that forbidden?)

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. Page 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. 32
  13. All
Dear Joe,

How about you doing a bit of lateral thinking for a change.
I know it's a big ask but do give it a go.

http://www.themonthly.com.au/blog.richard-cooke/2016/23/2016/1479858182/letting-catholic-priests-australia-was-mistake
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 20 April 2017 5:21:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dearest Foxy,

Yes,we could all do with a bit of that :)

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 20 April 2017 5:47:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Maybe I'm being picky but you have to register to enrol//

Nope, not any more. The AEC can register and enrol you, and there is sod all you can do about it. God I love the future: people not being able to avoid their civic duties since 2013.

//honor killings (okay, yes, that's murder)//

Yeah, that's why I put murder first: because it's the worst. Also, me and all my Klingon friends kindly ask that you cease and desist from misusing the term 'honour', unless you're willing to use it properly. Starting with the correct spelling - there is a 'u' in honour. At least, there is the way Klingons spell honour. We will only ask nicely once - after that we will employ disruptors.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 21 April 2017 1:01:08 AM
Hi Tone,

'Employ disruptors' ? What, more than you do already ?

'Honor' is an older English - and newer, more American - version of 'honour'. I know this is a huge deal to you, getting the spelling right, almost as important as honor killings themselves. I respectfully beg to differ.

But is that all you've got ? Nothing substantial ? Nothing to say about the bit-by-bit intrusion of Shari'a law into the Australian legal system ?

It may not worry kind-hearted people like Foxy - gosh, why not let people have their own laws ? - but I have this niggling notion that Australian Muslim women are Australian, and entitled to the protection of Australian law, even if their menfolk and imams browbeat them into making absurd videos and giving away their rights as women.

Keep disrupting, if it's all you've got [and get stuck into me for the misuse of 'got', I can take it].

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 21 April 2017 9:30:12 AM
//but I have this niggling notion that Australian Muslim women are Australian, and entitled to the protection of Australian law//

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/185/455/2535998337_21f4edd555.jpg
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 21 April 2017 10:18:48 AM
Hi Tone,

So you're totally opposed to the introduction of any element of Shari'a law into Australia ? No 'different' rights for Australian women who happen to be Muslim ?

In fact, no 'different' rights for Australian women who happen to be afflicted by any other 'culture' or religion ? Indigenous women, for instance, no under-age marriage to 'promised' old men ?

Good on you.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 21 April 2017 10:41:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. Page 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. 32