The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bill Leak - Australian champion of free speech.

Bill Leak - Australian champion of free speech.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Shadow Minister,
"Racism card..Confected outrage"?

My comments were about the response to that famous Bill Leak cartoon and the selective outrage of others.

If it wasn't for that one particular cartoon, what sort of adulation would we have been witnessing?

You're the typical thin-skinned Reich-Wing apologist that sees imaginary sinister (and sometimes anti-Semitic) motives behind everything and chooses to divide everything into back and white with no room for shades of grey.
Posted by rache, Friday, 17 March 2017 10:20:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's a link from the ABC that asks:

"Let there be no talk today of left and right, of
conservative or progressive... Bill was one of those
rare artists who gives meaning to that ridiculously
over-used word "larrikin"... And boy could he draw.
He took the most robust view of freedom of expression
and was prepared to live with the consequences."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/bill-leak-a-satirist-who-played-hard-and-took-no-prisoners/8344732

For anyone interested - Bill Leak released a book 36 hours
prior to his death of a heart attack.

"Trigger Warring - Deplorable Cartoons by Bill Leak".
It should be available from all major book shops (and
libraries). $25.49.

It would be great to own a copy or as a gift.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 March 2017 10:55:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day there TTBN...

In normal circumstances I'd agree with you unreservedly; regrettably we have a certain demographic, that without the constraints of S.18C, would take the opportunity to abuse or vilify anybody they didn't like their appearance. I also agree with you, the very need for a law of a kind similar to that of 18C, is a real anathema in a country like Australia. Regrettably without it, there'd be no practical resolution in law available, in which to remedy or 'set to rights' those who're inclined to behave in such a fashion - it's essentially a Tort - a civil 'righting of wrong(s)'.

Similar to any law or prohibition - The fact laws are on our Statute Books at all, is because they're necessary, even though most of the population would never think of transgressing any of the Criminal Law. And for the record, I'm averse to political correctness in all it's forms, as are most ordinary people, I think?
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 17 March 2017 11:02:44 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Where to order Bill Leak's book, 'Trigger Warning',

http://www.wilkinsonpublishing.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=527

I'm getting a few copies for gifts. It will be small thanks and recognition for his surviving loved ones.
Posted by leoj, Friday, 17 March 2017 11:18:09 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-17/bill-leak-united-australians-says-malcolm-turnbull/8364210

Eternal rest grant to him O Lord
And let perpetual light shine on him
May he rest in peace.
Amen.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 March 2017 10:18:58 PM
Bill leake will be remembered not only as a artist and writer, but as a top tier cartoonist that was prepared to say what had to be said in spite of the consequences from the Islamist extremists or the PC extremists.

There are few people prepared to put their money where their mouth is, and they need to be remembered.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 19 March 2017 9:00:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy