The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bill Leak - Australian champion of free speech.

Bill Leak - Australian champion of free speech.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
SR,AJ, and Rache,

Considering that the left whingers are the masters of shutting down down debate or criticism of any kind by playing racism card, your confected outrage is laughable.

While I have no doubt that the charge of anti semitism can be used to shut off debate, I also have no doubt that more often than not it is justified.

Sometimes the racism is undisguised, as in one poster declaring that the Jews had no claim whatsoever over Israel, and that an invasion that wiped them out or subjugated them under an islamic regime would be great.

Some are less directly racist in that they simply apply vastly different standards to Israel than to any of their adversaries.

ie.
1. because Israel is militarily far stronger, it is duty bound not to retaliate.
2. If Hamas attacks Israel from populated areas, Israel is committing war crimes by retaliating (not according to the Geneva convention.)
ETC etc.

Any one claiming that Israel is entirely innocent would be lying, however, many of the claims I have seen on OLO against Israel are blatant lies.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 16 March 2017 7:45:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not entirely sure we can blame any part of the continued machinations associated with amending or repealing, S.18c, on any particular event. Least of all, the unfortunate demise of the popular cartoonist, Mr William (Bill) LEAK. Whether or not the continued controversy surrounding this Section, has had even a miniscule impact upon the general health of MR LEAK, is again arguable.

I for one don't see any need to remove or amend any part of the legislation. After all most of us go about our business without feeling the need to abuse, insult or threaten anybody, especially minorities. That's not to say, those who adjudicate on complaints should adopt a much more pragmatic and level headed approach, on matters that are proven, in terms of penalties, and other punitive measures available to them.

It's just another cowardly way of bullying people, and I've seen plenty of that over time. And it can result in infusing a real sense of fear in some people - a spineless act for sure! Therefore the section should remain untouched, and without amendment. In order to seize some of these repugnant bully boys who like to act tough when supported by gangs. Besides, I have this real aversion to bullies!
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 16 March 2017 8:45:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

I don't label people – they do that for themselves through what they say and what they think. When people consistently take a view, they automatically fall to the Left of centre or the Right of centre. The centre does not really matter because there lies the wishy-washyness of indecision and unwillingness to make commitments. Anyone not committed one way or the other is unworthy of any consideration in my book. They are useless. Irrelevant. I prefer people with convictions , even when they don't align with my own, to hollow people who go with the flow.

I simply do not get your reference to my supposed 'superiority'. Do I make you feel inferior? If I do, it is entirely your concern, because I have never considered myself superior to anyone. And, I really cannot understand your horror of 'labels'. I'm quite happy with my label. If you are not happy with yours, then you have some hard thinking to do about just what it is you stand for.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 16 March 2017 9:44:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O sung wu,

Whether or not any of us actively wants to 'insult and offend' people is beside the point, I think. The very fact that Section 18C exists at all in a country like Australia is in itself insulting and offensive to a people who have accepted millions of people from all over the world into their midst. There is simply no evidence that such hideous, draconian legislation is any more necessary in Australia than it is in countries without such undemocratic laws. Long before this insidious muck was made law, Australia had adequate legislation in common and statute law to deal with racial vilification.

But, the Left of the political spectrum, and now the dwindling Right, have demonstrated – via the recent indecisive cop out by the panel charged with looking into 18C – that they do not give a damn about freedom of speech in one of the oldest continuing democracies in the world.

If that is not insulting and offensive to Australians, I do not know what is.

You say that you have a “real aversion to bullies”. I think you really mean that; but it certainly does not fit in with your opinion that “the section should remain untouched, and without amendment.”. Section 18C is the epitome of legalised bullying.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 16 March 2017 10:08:34 PM
Dear ttbn,

Go back and re-read some of your posts.

Then tell us again that you don't label people.

I was merely trying to understand why you do this.
Thus my reference to the fact that perhaps this
makes you somehow feel superior.

Still the choice is yours as to how you behave.
Just don't be surprised at how others may see you.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 March 2017 10:36:50 PM
Memorial Service for Bill Leak

Foxtel Bill Leak: 1956 - 2017
LIVE
A-PAC
648 A-PAC
On Today 2:30pm - 4:30pm More Times

A public memorial service is held for cartoonist Bill Leak at Sydney Town Hall.

I suppose that the taxpayer-funded national broadcaster will briefly mention and bucket Leak on the news as 'controversial' or similar. Best forgotten as far as the ABC is concerned.

However, Leak's preeminence as an icon of political and social cartooning should warrant a life story soon by the ABC. Don't hang by the fingernails waiting though, it is 'their' ABC.

A very sad day, raw, for family, friends and colleagues.
Posted by leoj, Friday, 17 March 2017 9:58:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy