The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Pickering Post

Pickering Post

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
For those not too po-faced and sanctimonious to read Larry Pickering, he has an interesting comparison with Aboriginal and Muslim culture this morning.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 16 February 2017 9:22:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good Morning dear ttbn,

I did read the Pickering Post that you cited.
It's quintessential "Pickering." Done in his
usual controversial style and will undoubtedly
provoke reactions.

I remember Pickering in his "salad" days (when he was
fresh and green) and used to lampoon politicians on
both sides of politics. I recall the bestselling
1980s calendars of naked politicians that my mum
bought for dad as a bit of a joke. Undoubtedly
the man was/is very talented.

Today the 73 year old is dying of lung cancer.
He's refused chemo and is simply biding his time.

I wish him and his family well.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 10:55:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

Picking is a lying, cheating, scam artist who should have been behind bars a long, long time ago. He conned over a hundred people out of their life savings and it is widely regarded that only his Liberal Party connections have kept him out of jail.

“Pickering helped set up CSI, a sports arbitrage company selling software to punters guaranteeing big returns from supposedly sure bets. The company went bust leaving more than 100 investors without their life savings, valued at millions of dollars.”

“Pickering, who has 11 children to five women, was made an undischarged bankrupt by his former defacto five years ago and said his only asset was a $250 set of golf clubs. However, he recently lived in a giant rented Gold Coast mansion and drove a top-of-the-range Jaguar.”
Daily Telegraph
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 16 February 2017 11:11:00 AM
The conversion of Aborigines to Islam is approved of by the left elite, and by the men who want to maintain gendered roles and their patronising and often violent 'leadership' (read as, dominance) over women.

Only a 'racist' or 'xenophobe' would criticise that. [sarcasm alert]

Remember how the left and feminists gushed over Muhammed Ali - for his Islam and 'dissing' of 'white' anything, excepting the $dollars and all that they bought.

Again, not something any feminists would be criticising, but rationalising. There are very well paid feminist careers in government and NGOs to protect.
Posted by leoj, Thursday, 16 February 2017 11:23:19 AM
Not too po faced or sanctimonious to read http://www.pickeringpost.com/story/the-feminine-fingered-fool-is-still-here/6909 but it was a waste of time doing so. It's a rant based entirely on his prejudice. As arguments go, the standard is below even what I'd expect to find on 4chan!
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 16 February 2017 11:58:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Aidan,

Indeed.

When you have Andrew Bolt referring to Pickering as "vile" and of 'vomiting hate' you know how utterly reprehensible the little toe-rag and those who sing his praises must be.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 16 February 2017 12:02:22 PM
Dear Steele,

I don't know what to say.

Best I go sit in the naughty-corner for a while.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 12:20:31 PM
I know nothing of Pickering or his character. I find it totally hypocritical of the left to lambast his character. They always maintained that personal life does not apply to public performance. Obviousy the hypocrisy of the left know no bounds. Using their own standards few who are employed by the abc would remain so.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 16 February 2017 12:23:22 PM
Dear runner;

You wrote;

“I find it totally hypocritical of the left to lambast his character.”

You also wrote;

“For years the regressive media ignored Gillard slush fund, Shortens rape allegation and Thomson prostitutes.”

A sanctimonious hypocrite? Who would have thought it?

Dear Foxy,

Dying from cancer is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. It is not a pleasant way to go. Also feeling pity for the family/s is certainly appropriate, even in this case. I too enjoyed his early cartoons but not now. They are hate-filled pieces that he only gets away with because as an undischarged bankrupt he can say and write whatever he likes since it is not worth suing him.

What really gets my goat is his pathetic little cheer squad who believe he is bravely going where no one else dares instead of the nasty little man he really is, one who can spew his bile, immune by default from civil action. Let's hope the criminal case will still progress.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 16 February 2017 12:54:22 PM
Dear Steele,

I know little about Pickering except the few things
I stated earlier. I used to find him funny growing
up back in the 1980s. Admittedly I found his latest
rant a bit too strong and vitriolic for
my taste. He's not somebody I would read regularly.
Thank You for filling me in on the guy.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 1:13:17 PM
Its just a shame that so much of what is said here is true, but we dare not mention the fatcs for fear of being called a recist.

When is this country going to wake up to its self and realise just what fools we are being taken for.

An interesting bit of research would be to see the distibution of welfare dollars to Aboriginal people as i would bet there are many top heavy recipients in that group, selling out their own people.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 16 February 2017 1:30:23 PM
Foxy,

There was nothing at all wrong with your observations the the earlier post,
Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 10:55:48 AM
or your most recent.

Yours were musings on what had been and in truth, Pickering once held sway as one of the very few with courage to speak up. He deserves recognition for that.

He was protected to an extent by the fact that he was a cartoonist, but as demonstrated by the attacks on Leunig for his day care cartoon, there is no safety in a cartoonist's satire any more. Can Leunig's cartoon even be found? The mind controlling censors have been busy.

I chose as you did not to dwell on any recent, more extreme (through the exasperation with cant and hypocrisy of the years?) work. Also I chose a different direction and plane, a little away from the thrust of the OP, but hopefully still topical.

We choose where we might add value to a discussion. As well, as demonstrated by your post, there is no harm musing on a past and having compassion for a fellow human and his family with a clock ticking.

I'd add that while some might take some glee in the awful terminal disease affecting this man, none of us knows the time of our own death, which could be soon.
Posted by leoj, Thursday, 16 February 2017 1:35:23 PM
Dear leo,

I do have good memories of Pickering as a young cartoonist
and as a young satirist. As I stated earlier - his lampooning
of both sides of politics I clearly remember growing up
and the 1980s nude calendars that mum used to buy of
the politicians for a bit of a laugh. I didn't know
about his personal life or his recent activities.

Anyway, I do now feel for him and his family and wish them well.

Thank You for taking the time to respond to my posts.
And for your concern.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 1:46:56 PM
Yes, Foxy. Same age as I am, we were brought up to speak our minds then. I don't always approve of the way he says things but, in general, I approve of the sentiments. I don't thing there will ever be another like him. Just as well, some might say, but I will certainly miss his wit and devil-may-care attitude.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 16 February 2017 3:24:39 PM
Dear ttbn,

Those were different times, I dare say.
I now watch my mum with her dementia
and I remember all the positive moments
growing up. It breaks my heart to see
her today. Still all I can do is be a part
of her life and stay positive through it all.
Respect her dignity and self-esteem and love
her unconditionally.

I imagine Mr Pickering's family are doing the same
for him.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 4:52:10 PM
Dear Foxy,

Oh if he was just an ordinary misanthrope commoner it wouldn't be so bad, but the way he rants about welfare cheats (primarily Muslim) is just so bloody hypocritical it makes one ready to puke.

While he rabbits on about them having multiple wives and outbreeding us he himself has fathered 11 children from 5 different women. One he admits marrying purely so she could get residency here. Not only that he has been on benefits for nearly 2 decades, even being investigated by ACA because he refused to pay child support saying he was so broke he was having to go on Centrelink payments. ACA actually set up a sting with a PI posing as a prospective buyer for Pickering's helicopter just to show how this con man and deadbeat dad was rorting the system. Now he supposedly 'gets by' with the pension and child support payments supplemented with the odd cartoon. What a crook. All this with a son worth nearly $100 million.

Remove the name Pickering and replace it with an Islamic name and there would be an absolute outcry. Yet his fans just love lapping up whatever this freeloader spouts.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 16 February 2017 4:53:06 PM
Dear Steele,

I can see that you're really upset.
And I appreciate your taking the time to
further inform me.
You must know how much I respect your opinion.
Also, I don't usually read the Pickering Post.

However, life has dealt this man a serious blow.
No matter what he's done in the past or how he's
rorted the system - he won't be around much longer
to keep doing it.

I feel sorry for anyone with a terminal illness.
Everything else pales in significance.
I feel sorry for the man's wife and family.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 5:23:12 PM
Dear Foxy,

I hope I made myself clear earlier, feeling pity for both he and his family is perfectly justifiable, although knowing he refused to give up smoking after his intitial diagnosis does temper it a little for me.

However I am not trying to moderate your sympathy one bit. I am trying to sustain the case that this bloke is still trotting out hatefilled media and his affliction doesn't give him a free pass for a moment. I will continue to judge it for what it is, poison from a vile man.

This thread was about his message not his illness. I promise to be more circumspect if or when there is a thread acknowledging his passing.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 16 February 2017 5:37:09 PM
Dear Steele,

Fair enough.

Talking about anti-muslim sentiment. I came across
the following link that I found interesting:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-27/tatz-anti-muslim-sentiment-familiar-for-jews/6969356
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 5:52:44 PM
Hi Foxy,

I'm not sure how Simon Tatz can compare Jews with Muslims in any way at all. Jews have always been well assimlated in Australia. Certainly, there was discrimination against them from elitist organisations like the Melbourne Club, and some golf clubs, for example. Australia did not come to the aid of Jewish refugees during World War 11 - shamefully. But Jews - except for the ultra-conservative ones, with their plaits, black suits and hats - do no stand out from the general population at all, unlike Muslims who's agenda is altogether different. Jews do assimilate. Jews do not try to force there religion on others. The Jews' Torah does not call for the killing of Muslims, while the Koran calls for the destruction of Jews. There is simply no similarity between the two.

I think the Tatz article is very ignorant and un-researched. No two groups could be further apart than Jews and Muslims. Dogs and cats, really.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 16 February 2017 8:42:30 PM
Dear ttbn,

I guess the man was talking from either his own
experiences or those of people he had interviewed
or researched. I'm not sure which. I took the
article for what it was - an interesting one
to compare. Of course each of us views things
in our own subjective way from our own experience
of things and our values.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 February 2017 9:46:41 PM
Foxy, The point is that moslems are opposed to multiculturalism.
As far as Jews are concerned I have a Jewish neighbour and have been
to gatherings, meetings and a get togethers and did not know they are
Jewish until a discussion came up about food and she mentioned kosher.
I realised later that she had not been hiding it all, I just did not
recognise anything she or her husband had said, did have a Jewish
connection. Later they told us what happened to their family in Germany during the war.

There is a major difference between the way Jews and moslems live in the community.
Recently went to another house and saw something beside the door.
I asked about it, and they told me they were Jewish. I did not know they were Jewish.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 19 February 2017 5:21:44 PM
Dear Bazz,

And I was at a party Friday night where a Muslim was passed out drunk beside the BBQ. I know other Muslims who without them telling you they were of that faith you would not have picked them as such. I also know a couple of orthodox Jews whose beards and manner of dress leave not doubt as to their faith.

What's your point?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 19 February 2017 6:11:40 PM
Dear Bazz,

I recall years ago when I was suffering from cancer
and began losing my mane of hair due to therapy.
I wore a head scarf to disguise my hair loss.
Of course my big mane grew back and I've been cancer free
for some time now. However during that period it was
difficult and I am very grateful that nobody abused me
during that time even though my scarf came from dubai
through a friend.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 19 February 2017 7:23:52 PM
Pickering's cartoons haven't lost their edge. If anything, a bit milder satire than in years past.

http://www.pickeringpost.com/cartoons
Posted by leoj, Sunday, 19 February 2017 8:22:29 PM
SteeleRedux, nothing I can add to your posts, other than to give them the thumbs up.

Pickering was a grub, now he is a grub with cancer. but still a grub!

Stereotyping of people, shows ignorance, I don't care how people dress, look, behave, speak. If the orthodox want to dress in a certain way so be it, why do people care? My only rule is, do what you want to do, but don't hurt anyone else doing it.

I could make an exception to the above dress rule for another grub, Geoffrey Edelsten, who dresses like a colorful caterpillar

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/bankrupt-geoffrey-edelsten-still-leading-life-of-luxury-thanks-to-his-mum/news-story/0406c448dd653f3b13d19954a258e339
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 20 February 2017 4:39:05 AM
Paul1405, "Stereotyping of people, shows ignorance"

That's a bit rich, coming from you.

Referring again to Pickering's cartoons, the satire is even-handed, which is a rare talent these days. But too frank for some,

http://www.pickeringpost.com/cartoon/6765

http://www.pickeringpost.com/cartoon/6694

and this,

http://www.pickeringpost.com/cartoon/6705
Posted by leoj, Monday, 20 February 2017 8:59:28 AM
Beach, ah sorry Leo, what ever turns you on, did you drool over Pickering's calendars, with caricatures of blokes with oversized donggers? Looks like you are a big fan.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 20 February 2017 9:36:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy