The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Pauline Hanson’s vision for Australia under One Nation

Pauline Hanson’s vision for Australia under One Nation

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Paul,

"Did you know the Mormon religion dictates what kind of underwear a woman can wear, but does not apply the same rules to men."

That is broadly correct, but does not apply to all Mormons; some men also wear approved underwear as do their wives.
Such underwear is needed for sexual relations as these Mormon couples never undress in each others company.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 10 February 2017 8:15:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day Is Mise,

I am familiar with some of the beliefs and practices of the Mormons, several of "T"'s family are Mormons, they got in with the Maori early on. Our closest niece is a member, seeing as I was needing redemption, she got me to attend a service a while back, and catch up with another young bro doing his mission in Australia, twice in 6 months I have had morning visits from Church elders doing their 2 year missions, the last one about a week ago, I wonder who arranged that? They stayed for 2 hours, I offered them a beer, but then said, you guys don't drink, so offered them lemonade, they drank the whole bottle.
They are all nice kids, clean cut, moral (but I know more about our niece than her parents do, and the things she has done). Auntie and I have had a few long discussions with her, about marriage and her boyfriend not being Mormon, babies, drinking in pubs, the use of on line dating services etc etc, she is over 30 and a very beautiful girl Maori/Polynesian both in looks and sprite. Growing up as she did in rural NZ and involved in the Church, well educated and now in the bright lights of Sydney. there are pressures.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 10 February 2017 9:51:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405 tries to have his cake and eat it too by first admitting the ongoing horrible restrictions on women in the name of Islam and then by making a false comparison (with Mormons) to diminish this self-evident fact borne out by the constant reports in the media. He ends as usual with bait for a diversion away from the subject.

Of course the bait is smelly half-truths and outright fabrication.

Mormon underwear, gender equality in ridiculous ritual,
http://www.mikedash.com/extras/forteana/ask-bizarre-2/underwear

No comparison at all between the Mormon underwear silliness and the Muslim restrictions on women and girls.

Whereas Islam,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7OYRknGgEc

One would like to think that there could be no dispute, no sly rhetorical diminishing and no diverting the attention away from the attitudes to women and girls in the Muslim world. That includes the disgusting symbols of it.
Posted by leoj, Friday, 10 February 2017 10:03:11 AM
I take people as I find them.

If to you Islam conjures forth images of women behind
veils, of adulterers being stoned, of theives having
their hands cut off, of public floggings, and
executions, of martyrdom in holy wars, and of political
fanaticism exemplified in aircraft hijackings and
terrorist bombings. Then that's your thing.

To me those images are rather distorted. They're based
on what is newsworthy rather than what is typical.
Extemists and fundamentalists exist in all religions.
As do people with mental problems who do bad things.

I will continue to take people as I find them and go to
my Muslim doctors, listen to Waleed Ali on The Project
('cause I think he's great!). And live my life according
to my beliefs and values. I'll leave you to do the same.
Cheers.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 10 February 2017 10:07:49 AM
An excellent philosophy Foxy. I could not agree more.

Leo W, I was simply pointing out how religions impose restrictions on people, some quite absurd nonsense.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 10 February 2017 11:11:45 AM
Dear Paul,

Thank You.

I feel it is important to keep in mind that the
religiously-minded modern person is not a 'card-carrying'
fundamentalist. The latter are a tiny minority.
And of whatever faith, a psychologist would be likely to
declare them to be of unsound mind.

Humanity cannot afford to have fundamentalists with their
fingers on the nuclear war button. One of the saving graces
of the Cold War was that it was conducted by somewhat
rational people in Washington and Moscow. I am concerned
about the current US President and how "rational" he is
though. Fingers-crossed.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 10 February 2017 12:32:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All