The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Did Turnbull Really Say This?

Did Turnbull Really Say This?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSDjeaReu4
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 9 January 2017 7:01:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I heard Turnbull say this and we do always need the full story. However MT also pointed out that the Islamic world started math, astronomy and many civilised things. As moe started up in the 7th century surely he stopped all this Arab advancement when he declared forget about that bs and concentrate of talking about my book.
Islam has had anything but a civilised effect on the wider world. Yes I know I will be called an islamaphobe however I believe that my reasoning to fear these nutters is absolutely real not an unreasoning phobia.
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 10 January 2017 9:16:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Jim,

MT said that " .... the Islamic world started math, astronomy and many civilised things. .... " ?? What ? A thousand years before, the Greeks knew a great deal about those "civilized things", perhaps even the Egyptians before them had already laid down the basic principles of geometry, and of course the Indians already knew how to use logarithms, which weren't re-discovered in Europe until much later, and certainly weren't known by the Muslims. The zero, after all, was devised by Indian priests, if not by earlier traders around South-East Asia and the Indian ocean.

Much of this would have been known by Byzantine scholars, centuries before the Muslims burst out of Arabia. If anything, they were borrowers, using the knowledge of local Christian and Jewish scholars rather than originating anything themselves. As you point out, their interest in book-learning would have been constrained by the Koran. I'm always struck by the fact that the first printing press in the Muslim world was put together in 1824, barely two hundred years ago.

Here's a - possibly - Islamophobic suspicion: do Muslims still believe the world is flat ? Or have they done the Greek thing and worked out, roughly, the distance of the Earth from the Sun, and its diameter ?

And I hope nobody goes on about the wonderful architecture in Moorish Spain.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 10 January 2017 10:22:16 AM
There is nothing wrong with being called an Islamophobe. When people start calling you names because of your beliefs, you know that you have won the argument. Islam is an evil, dispicable thing that will probably die out (although not in our time) as more of the poor souls who have had Mohammed's filth forced down their throats are exposed to the West and its values. We must remember that Muslims-through-no-choice are as human as the rest of us; they can compare what they have with what is available to them, and tell the Mad Mullahs that the game is up. Just as we took back our lives from all-powerful priests, so too can Muslims, exposed to democracy and the rule of law.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 10 January 2017 11:35:36 AM
Malcolm said;
Islam and Islamic traditions which are moderate,

This is the very point on which politicians lead us astray.
"Moderates" means nothing, surveys in the UK have shown quite clearly
that moderates will advocate Sharia law, will support Jihadists and
refuse to condemn their attacks.
They also want to have all Jews removed or killed.
The only difference is that moderates do not want to undertake these
operations themselves. It is in their baby milk. Schools reinforce it.
There are of course reform groupings but they seem to be very small
and in the Middle East are under threat.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 10 January 2017 12:11:10 PM
That's right, Bazz. A 'moderate' Muslim is entirely different from our definiition of moderation. There is nothing moderate about Islam, as anyone who has merely scanned the Koran knows. 'Moderate Muslim' is the best possible example of an oxymoron.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 10 January 2017 1:05:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy