The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christmas and the beautiful Carols the occasion evokes:

Christmas and the beautiful Carols the occasion evokes:

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Given how the supporters of 'Politically Correctness' are attempting to remove elements of 'Christ' from the Christmas period. I thought it appropriate that I might remind you, how inspirational and uplifting a beautiful Christmas Carol can have on us, whenever we're alone or feel abandoned at this special time of the year.

Today, on radio I heard the dulcet tones of Ms Celine DION and her unique rendition of one of my favourite Carols; 'O Holy Night'. She'd literally raise the hair on the back of your neck, with her beguiling delivery of this inspirational Christmas Carol. The fact I'm a 'born again' atheist doesn't exclude me from being emotionally moved, by the beauty and/or musicality of this great Carol.

I was in a jungle Fort (Tapong) on the Thai/Malay border in 1964. We were tasked with seeking out Communists terrorists. Someone had an old 'Aiwa' portable, battery operated, reel to reel tape recorder. I first heard Marie CALLAS 'scratchy' voice perform this beautiful Carol, it was so uplifting for us, all those years ago in that stinking hole of a place. We (S.x 5) felt utterly abandoned and so bloody lonely, our exfiltration chopper had missed our LZ (twice) because of the monsoon.

How about you, what are your favourite Christmas Carols, and did they uplift you at the time ? And who do you prefer to perform them ?

A Merry Christmas to all !
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 12:39:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O Sung Wu.,

I remember years ago of going to St Paul's Cathedral
Melbourne at Christmas time. It was a new experience
for me (being a Catholic) and St Paul's is Anglican.
But what an experience it was. The Cathedral Choir, the
music, the magnificent interior of the Cathedral -
It was breath-taking, moving, and totally inspirational.
Something I will never forget.

I'm a traditionalist as far as Carols go. I love Carols
like - Good King Wenceslas, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,
Do You Hear What I Hear, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing,
and so on. And of course there's - O Christmas Tree,
The First Noel, and the ever favourite - Silent Night.

Joy to the World, O Come All ye Faithful, O Little
Town of Bethlehem, One in Royal David's City, it's hard to
pick a favourite but if I had to - I guess - Silent Night
would be it. And as for who should perform the Carols?
I think that a Cathedral Choir is hard to beat.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 5:41:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello there FOXY...

I like and recognise all of those fabulous Carols you've mentioned herein, and I too would have to say 'Silent Night' to be one of my favourites. Melbourne has 'Carols by Candlelight' each Christmas, performed in the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, in Melbourne's Botanical Gardens, I believe. They have an enormous number of talented people performing the Carols (without a fee), many from the Australian Opera Company. All the money raised goes to the Victorian Blind Society, a worthy charity I reckon.

My only reservation, some of the performers are from rock 'n roll backgrounds, consequently don't have the voice to do credit to something musically demanding like Silent Night. Regrettably they tend to murder the Carol, which is a pity really given their hearts are in the right place, because they do it purely for altruistic reasons (charity) ? Thank you very much indeed FOXY for your input, I value your contribution enormously.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 8:30:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Merry Christmas o sung wu to you and your family, and a happy New Year.

My favorite Christmas song is Jimmy Buffett with 'Mele Kalikimaka' it cheers me up right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FWNcgcosMY

I am rather pissed off today, a shipment of clothing and toys etc that was destined for Fiji last week for distribution Saturday, has not arrived in Sigatoka where it now should be, possibly it has gone astray, and no one seems to be able to locate it, despite extensive inquiries both in Australia and Fiji. Flooding has seen Sigatoka hard hit, so that may account for the delay, it may still be in Nadi, and waiting shipment, I hope so. Otherwise some kids and their families are going to miss out. people who miss out on a lot of material things throughout the year as it is. The bright side is the food hampers (which contain staples) is not affected.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 9:14:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My favourite is The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York". A beautiful song, although no doubt some consider some to the lyrics politically incorrect for a Christmas carol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

I also like "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by Weird Al. Still cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGlUMvbhSw

And then there's Trans-Siberian Orchestra, a prog-rock band who have a whole Christmas album. It's pretty epic. This is one of their best songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIlbnS_A

Merry Christmas, everybody. And Happy Hogswatch, if you celebrate Hogswatch.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 10:57:28 PM
Hi o sung wu, & a very merry Christmas to you. I know what you are talking about. I was also reading a comment the other day by a singer doing some Christmas shows, saying he dreaded doing yet again Jingle Bell Rock. Much modern stuff is not really carols.

I'm more inclined to go for Bing Crosby style Christmas carols, soft & gentle. Talk about aging myself. Then again I had a few done by Roberta Flack. She can bring the hair up on the back of my neck the moment she starts, & it doesn't have to be Christmas Carrols. Her The Impossible Dream does it in a big way.

One of the worst things about our modern cities today is their size. My mother in law has a 400 kilometre round trip to visit our youngest daughter for Christmas, held there so she doesn't have to move the new baby too much. Still I guess that gives her plenty of time to listen to carols on the radio in the car.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 11:09:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy