The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Creation of pseudohistory

Creation of pseudohistory

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
Dear ttbn,

Reading is indeed crucial I totally agree.
That is why it is important to read more
than one version of events as I've
stated previously.

Dear Joe,

There are so many links available on the web on
Aboriginal massacres. The following link is only
one such example:

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/myall-creek-massacre-1838#toc3
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 10:30:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dearest Foxy,

Myall Creek, 1838, that's right, and nine white blokes were hanged for it. Any others ? Actual sites, where some investigation had been done? Not just bar-fly yarns, and third- and fourth-hand stories, handed down and magnified with each re-telling ?

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 12:06:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Joe,

Some others are also listed in the link I
gave on the Myall Creek Massacre. You can
also find them separately on the web.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 12:34:08 PM
Hi Foxy,

Are any of those others anything but rumours, maybes, hearsay, family legends, with not one actual investigation amongst them ? I can't be bothered looking up such sites. Give me some reason to.

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 12:40:04 PM
Dear Joe,

So now you want me to teach you how to
tie your shoe laces after all.

Seriously, why don't you start with the
list given in my earlier link on the Myall
Massacre and decide for yourself.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 5:26:32 PM
Dearest Foxy,

A list of places with the word 'massacre' attached is not exactly evidence of massacres. Have each of those places been examined ? I don't know. Do you want me to go searching or would that be the obligation of those who assert that something happened ?

There are aspects of that Myall Creek account which don't quite ring true: I doubt that people would still travel about in a single coherent group, rather than scattering into ones and twos into the dense bush, which they would probably know well, even better than the native Police who usually came from some other region. Whites were usually useless in pursuing anybody in the bush, and tended to leave it to the Native Police. If thirty people were killed at Myall Creek, then surely there would have been thirty sets of remains to examine. Similarly at Coniston in the NT. Or anywhere else.

I'll say it again, I'm reasonably sure that many massacres occurred, but in order to be more specific, thorough investigation of supposed sites should - and still could - be carried out. Without evidence, why believe any particular story ? I'd be convinced if just one bone was discovered at any particular site with some marks of killing by whites, by gun or sabre. Not necessarily thirty different individuals with such marks at a site, but enough to give some reasonable certainty that, of, say, thirty sets of remains found, if the only evidence of cause of death on any of them were the marks of bullets of sabres, and not spearing or clubbing, etc., as might have been the case in Black on Black killings. i.e. just something to tie the deaths of individuals to the actions of whites, or Native Police under white direction.

He/she who asserts must prove, i.e. provide evidence sufficient to make a judgment about the assertion. A list of places doesn't cut it.

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 7:29:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All