The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Howard Moving our Financial Capital to Singapore?

Is Howard Moving our Financial Capital to Singapore?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The Australian Government still has some control over business competition in telecommunications. Recently, the Howard Government made a huge vote of no confidence in the Australian Telecommunications industry as well as Australians in general buy giving telecommunications contracts to Optus, or Singtel: based in Singapore.

In their rationale to sell Testra, the Howard Government said emphatically that this would benefit Australians, Australian business and Australian employment. This decision fails in all fronts for this country. The winner is Singapore.

So more call centres will move to India and other Asian countries, more decisions will be made by a foreign country.

More jobs will be outsourced off shore, more investment in Singapore: not Australia, and little guarantee of service to people in the bush: those most affected.

Qantas is still under threat to be foreign owned by Singapore Airlines. Even Myer could be sold to Wal Mart--albeit American. So far, Australian business has managed to keep retail mostly Australian owned. Now that the Packer media empire has been whittled away by James Packer's decadence, other's are moving to Asia, surely the Australian Government has to protect some of our national interests?

We have a free trade economy under this Government but if things move too quickly, which they are, what will Australia be left with other than boozy and selfish Australian business men who have no national pride?
Posted by saintfletcher, Saturday, 23 June 2007 3:13:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
your problem, stf, is the word: "our". this country is not yours, it's theirs.

your other problem is, you are smart enough to see there is a problem, not smart enough to see the solution. frequent application of alcohol to the throat will soothe the frustration.
Posted by DEMOS, Sunday, 24 June 2007 8:13:02 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Try as an Australian to by land in Singapore. Try to sell Australian manufactured cars. With Singapore, where once I lived for four years, it is all their way, and, one way.
Posted by Oliver, Sunday, 24 June 2007 1:15:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Saintfletcher, am I to understand that you believe that the "job" should have gone to Telstra instead of an Australian/Singapore service provider?
Are you also indicating that if Telstra would have got the nod that no additional Telstra Call Centers will be added to the extensive number already in existence in India?

I am pleased that the "Opel" group has been chosen to provide the broadband service for Australia. Telstra's record is rather tarnished, especially since the 'Five Amigos' have been in the saddle.
Posted by hansh, Sunday, 24 June 2007 10:04:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of the Opel partners - Optus - went from being "majority Australian owned" to "majority Australian Company owned" to eventually being controlled by the Singapore Government.

I read somewhere that the Singapore Government now owns more assets in Australia than the Australian Government does. They (Optus) are even responsible for the telecommunications within Parliament House.

It no longer matters if Telstra gets the nod for a Broadband network because they in turn will eventually be foreign-owned as well.

Last week the Sydney Morning Herald reported that there are other overseas companies (Ireland and Germany for example) who would be keen to put in a bid for a new network but need 6 months to prepare - not the 6 weeks available.
Posted by wobbles, Monday, 25 June 2007 8:58:59 AM
(I have a very poor opinion of Optus.
they used Jackboot techniques on me to pay a bill that was not mine.
I was with Telstra at the time).

So, giving the yanks control of our 50 billion "future Fund" AKA "Pollies Pension Fund" is not a vote of no-confidence in Australia.
These are the once in a lifetime budget surplices and we give them to aUs company thaet has a record of loosing super money (Enron's).
A vote of no confidence
Posted by michael2, Monday, 25 June 2007 6:21:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy