The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > IVF donations and future health

IVF donations and future health

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Many people donate in terms of IVF programs, do not want their details provided, in terms of a future individual, wanting to find that donor at some time in the future for various reasons.

Without that donation, an individual child born would not be alive. Deep down an individual may also wish to discover more about their family history connection or meet a person who gave them their ability to live.

But there are much complex issues to consider now in my view, including complex health matters that IVF donors need to think about, and I believe "private" IVF donations need to be re-considered or even taken out the picture. For example:

"Bone marrow donor matches are made by matching people of the same ethnic heritage, for Tania Murphy time is quickly running out to find hers. Her family are hoping the power of social media might help link her to the donor she needs. The mother of two with Croatian-British Isles-Australian heritage was diagnosed with leukaemia July 7, 2016, after weeks of feeling rundown."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-07/mothers-urgent-plea-to-find-mediterranean-heritage-aussie-donor/7997230

Do IVF donors and parents who become involved in such programs have a moral and ethical responsibility to ensure a child's health is put first and ensure any donor's details are made available for their future child's health and wellbeing?
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 8 November 2016 5:09:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You could argue that a human being does not have any right to know who his or her biological parents are; maybe you have a case but it seems like a can of worms in that the person may likely have some mental issues dealing with this; which could be considered unfair, or creating inequality.

A bad path to go down in my opinion.

On the basis that a person does not have any right to at least have health information about those biological parents that could pertain to their own health and wellbeing, then I'd say this situation is a breach of human rights.

They may or may not have a right to know who their biological parents are (and I think that they should) but they certainly have a right to their biological parents health information if it pertains to their own health.

In this scenario the rights of the human being (now born) outweigh the feelings of the donor.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 9 November 2016 9:40:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
With today's gene decoding the parents can be found. It is my opinion if IVF should be used it only be taken from the couple who wish have children; or from a biological parent or sibling. This way it is easily traceable and there is a natural family bonding. If there is a gene deformity in one parent's line a gene can be planted to compensate.
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 9 November 2016 2:47:10 PM
I believe that from a few years ago anonymous donations were prohibited, and that children had the right to know the names of their parents from 18. However, the donors are under no obligation to see or correspond with them.

This has advantages in that kids can get to know their biological parents which gives them a sense of belonging, however, from what I've read, the number of available donors has shrunk rapidly, leaving many potential mums with little to no choice.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 9 November 2016 5:17:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy