The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are the aborigines being overprotected in Australia?

Are the aborigines being overprotected in Australia?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Hi. Im a student from South Australia Matriculation and am studying Legal Studies. I'm currently conducting a research based on the title "Are the aborigines being overprotected in Australia?". In Malaysia,over the past few years,our government has been doing a rather outstanding job on trying to increase the quality of lifestyle of the Malaysian aborigines,better known as ‘Orang Asli’ in the native tongue. Nevertheless,their living quality is still below the majority of the rest of the Malaysians,in aspects such as education,job prospects and many more which requires the government’s attention. While doing my research, I notice that a similar trend is observed in the state of aborigines protection in Australia. Sharan Burrow, a minister in Australia said that in this 51% of unemployment rate, Aboriginal people are still not being treated with respect. They don't have equal opportunity. They do not have a superannuation as well. Besides this,the level of Aboriginal voter participation in federal electoral politics remains low, and their ability to successfully translate political participation into the election of Aboriginal people to the House of Commons is even lower. While looking at the prospect of education, the Australian Government often fails to ensure that aborigines enjoy reasonable access to the development and delivery of their educational programs. Some aborigines state that this may have been so in the past when their parents were denied access to the schooling system in various state. As of my stand in this matter, I believe that the aborigines are not being overprotected in Australia. There are still many areas that the Australian Government could work on to improve the state of the aborigines community. It is only fair that the aborigines feel accepted back again in the lands which they originally first lay foot in. I hope that you guys could provide me with some feedbacks and views pertaining to this research I am still currently working on. Any opinions is welcomed, whether negative or positive as I believe a discussion is more interesting with a topic being analyzed critically. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Posted by hY, Friday, 22 June 2007 11:51:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why don't you go and work in one of the communities for 3 months to find out for yourself...I reckon it'll be hard for you to come up with an educated opinion without having lived in the communities yourself.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 24 June 2007 10:28:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 24 June 2007 10:56:24 AM
Apparently you are a university student.

Guess what! There is a big building on campus called a library. It’s full of books and journals and other media.

Follow these instructions. Find these texts them and read them.
• Write some notes.
• Discuss them with your professors or tutors.
• Discuss them with fellow students.
• Think deeply
• Start from the beginning again & repeat this cycle at least 10 times.

Then when you have done all of the above return to this site and write something more informed with some critical analysis of history and law and even sociology.
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 24 June 2007 7:25:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi hY.

You might find some interesting opinions on other current threads on this forum. http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=744, http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=751.

It might also be worth scrolling back through the history of article and general threads http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/

Aborigines are certainly not being ‘overprotected’ in my opinion. For further comments please see my recent post; http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=744#13250
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 24 June 2007 10:42:15 PM
LoL... He is from college
Posted by Hola, Sunday, 24 June 2007 11:25:48 PM
It is good to know there are South Australians with a social conscience. Aboriginal Australians in the ‘bush’ are certainly not over protected, they are patronised – treated as inferior, as unable to cope with civilization, as unable to regulate themselves, as best left to their ‘natural’ state of ignorance. Herewith a few suggestions.
1. instead of sending in builders from interstate to construct new houses, send in a master builder, a registered plumber and drainer, a registered electrician, a landscape gardener… then employ only locals as paid apprentices so they learn the skills of carpentry, electrical work, plumbing and drainage etc. and later will be able to set up in business as maintenance and repair experts for their community.
2. instead of importing policemen from outside, select locals to train as police officers and let them return to their localities if they wish.
3. instead of importing doctors and nurses. Deliberately train indigenous people in basic first aid, nursing skills and send the best off to medical school where they receive as much help as needed, no matter what the cost, to qualify.
4. instead of importing teachers, select suitable students and give them all the emotional and financial and social support needed to attend teacher training courses and succeed.
5. instead of importing fruits and vegetables, create the infrastructure, give courses and practical assistance so market gardening can be carried on locally…

People who have been deliberately disadvantaged as long and as systematically as Australian Aborigines, need much, much more support than their affluent and socially protected white fellow citizens in order to succeed in gaining certification and expertise that will make them able to compete as professionals, workers, and businessmen and women. They have never received sufficient support. Always governments have provided services that are incomprehensible to anyone untrained, then complained that they were not looked after, that no one took up the scholarships etc… Adequate support and training leading to success in a friendly, non competitive atmosphere is the only solution to the despair and hopelessness that pervades disadvantaged people everywhere.
Posted by ybgirp, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 11:13:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ybgirp,

Good stuff, and in the meantime the arse-bandits and general pedophiles continue on their merry way
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 1:27:47 PM
Ever heard the phrase, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.?I grew up in the midst of an Aboriginal community,we travelled 2.5 hrs each way to school. My friends rarely made it to that train, yet were paid each week to attend school .Parents were paid to get the kids to the school. My parents PAID for me to go to school . Yet somehow there were disadvantaged and i wasn't. whole communities were built for the Aborigines, all they had to do was move in. Move in they did, then the houses were systematically destroyed, rebuilt and destroyed agained. Yep, i can see the disadvantage. Now if your asking about those in remote areas, i believe the problems inherent in those communities will remain so until some-one works out how to get those communities to become self reliant, both for employment, and daily resources. Alcohol is a big factor in the failure of these places, try to remove it and you'll become a racist so n so, or your discriminating.If yo fail in your undertakings to improve the lives you were not trying hard enough. No matter what you build, houseing/infrastructure it's not enough or not what was apparently wanted. It's no bloody wonder that the pollies have left it alone for so long.If like a previous person wrote, you send in the trainers and educate the people, what do they do when the place is rebuilt? What keeps the communities economy going? Who pays for house repairs? The gov.? That just replaces the welfare handout to a work for your handout system, still proped by the gov.? We have an issue in this country that needs some serious attention, sorry i dont have the answers, I'm beginning to think no-one has. I reckon the communities need to find away to become self focused and sufficient. How so is the Million dollar Q. maybe mainstream assimilation would work, if Australia was wholly assimilated as one people but we aren't, so thats out the window too.
Posted by nmac, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 10:48:13 PM
Educate then assimilate.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 9:45:41 AM
Nmac

Your perspective from one who has grown up in an Aboriginal community is a welcome addition to the debate on this forum (which is now running across several threads).

You highlight the intractability of this issue and the reasons why successive state and federal governments have effectively left the issue alone.

I find it most interesting that even someone with your history and knowledge in this area you can say;

“sorry i dont have the answers, I'm beginning to think no-one has.”

And perhaps even more interesting is the lack of comment on Howard’s new paternalistic approach.

So can I ask;

Do you think that this approach has merit? Or at least more merit than the effectively-nothing approach that has preceded it?

Do you think these communities will remain better places after the constant police presence moves on? They are afterall only going into five communities out of some sixty in the Territory.

Do you think that the broader issues of community self-focus and self-sufficiency can be developed out of this heavy-handed approach?
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 10:37:14 AM
Initiatives will fail while people fail to support the initiatives.
If those who are now merrily criticising the government's latest initiative have the answers then why have they not informed the government. (And don't give me the "but they have and noone listened" argument because that is a cop out - genuine answers would be worked on.)
Far too many people (a majority of them not indigenous Australians) have somehow come to believe that indigenous Australians are different and should have special rights granted to them. If I was an indigenous Australian I would find that attitude damned insulting - and I suspect many of them do. They are people, they have feelings.
Some of the worst offenders are the so-called "aboriginal activists" who keep on insisting on separatism - who, if my indigenous informants are correct, are despaired of by many indigenous people.
Like people with disabilities and unionists who have been "represented" by the same faces for far too many years and who cling to the past and past values, indigenous Australians need a new set of faces - Noel Pearson might be one if he does not get nobbled.
Posted by Communicat, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 4:17:52 PM
hY, I have lived in a town in the Pilbra (in Western Australia) almost all my life and I know that, yes the government is "supporting" the aboriginals but it is us (the european miragrants) who gave them these behaviors/lifestyle. Before we came they had no alchol and respected the area 10 times more than "us". We should not be forcing them into a "perfect lifestyle" supposedly like ours. But we should be the ones leading a life style like what they used to do.
Posted by zambia, Saturday, 11 August 2007 12:54:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy