The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > TPP why is it good for Australia

TPP why is it good for Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Armchair Critic
I think you answered your own post questions.

There is nothing either leaked or in the MSM that tells what we are getting, if this agreement is signed within the agreed time frame of two years.

The only thing I know for sure is that the tax payer is on the hook for the government thoughtlessly passing of the plain packaging law for cigarettes.

My question for you as a fence sitter is how bad does it have to get before you actually get off the fence. Or are you like most of us old farts, just hoping it waits till we are gone, before it gets really bad.

Chris
Posted by LEFTY ONE, Monday, 26 September 2016 1:39:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
shadow minister
Have you seen a copy of what is in the agreement? if so perhaps you could enlighten economic illiterates like me, as this is the point of my post.

I do know that as a tax payer in Australia you will have to pay every time the government passes health and safety laws that international companies can show effected their profits.

So which side are you on, the tax payer that wants to be safe and healthy. Or are you one of those people who thinks the multi nationals should not have any laws put in their way to makeing as much money as possible for the executives and share holders.

Chris
Posted by LEFTY ONE, Monday, 26 September 2016 1:51:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lefty,

Now you are talking complete rubbish. Firstly you claim to know nothing about what is in the agreement, but then go on to make wild claims about how it will affect the tax payer. Make up your mind.

All I hear from you is propaganda direct from the CFMEU song sheet.

While I have not seen the final draft, I do know the principles, which do not affect health and safety laws that affect all Aus companies equally.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 26 September 2016 2:17:23 PM
Hey LEFTY ONE,
I think Wikileaks did get their hands on a few sections of it.
http://www.google.com.au/#q=wikileaks+tpp

I don't totally know what to make of Assange...
He's provided a lot of insight into things with his document releases, (and that's a good thing generally in my opinion) but I read somewhere that he's also taken money from Soros; whatever that means.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 26 September 2016 3:08:37 PM
Dear SM,

To what extent is the TPP about FREE trade, that is about removing restrictions, rather than about going the extra mile to actively ENCOURAGE trade?

Granted, since we all love freedom, we should never restrict what other people can do, be they Australian or otherwise - yet we need not help and encourage them either, them and their trade.

You may be correct that free trade is good for business and the economy - that is indeed outside my area of expertise, but as business and economy are not sentient beings, I have no reason to be concerned about their welfare.

While we should never actively hinder people from trading, why should we advertise this fact and commit to it publicly? Why not allow foreigners who threaten to purchase Australian assets to remain a little scared that we might change our policies like India does? This is a case where it's beneficial to keep a barking dog at our gate, even if he's never going to bite!

Also, why should we ENCOURAGE foreigners to come and invest here, thus purchasing Australian assets, for example by recognising their foreignly-incorporated companies as legal and privileged entities in Australia (as I assume the TPP requires)? Companies are not people, so we should not be obliged to grant them recognition and a free hand like we should for individuals. Let those who wish to invest, then suck out the Australian resources and push us onto the mad rat-race of the rest of the world, at least be required to trade in their individual capacity without enjoying the extra privileges and securities afforded to incorporated bodies - then pay Australian tax on their Australian income just like the rest of us.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 26 September 2016 3:30:21 PM
shadow minister
I think you need to spend a little more time actually reading my post before you rush to your key board. I know there is a special place that you put anything that comes from someone who professes to be a lefty.

So the thread reads “TPP what is in it that is good for Australia”. Clearly you have no Idea, but posted that it is a good thing and that anyone who disagrees is an economic illiterate.

The whole point of my post is that I am as much in the dark as anyone including our politicians, who we know only read the first page marked conclusion, before voting any new law up or down depending on what the whip says.

I do know that in the agreement, it states that courts will be set up, to see if laws that protect the health and safety (like the plain packaging laws) can be shown to effect company profits. It is clear that the plain packaging law will affect sales, or it is a waste of time. So my friend you as a tax payer will have to pay those companies millions of dollars whether you like it or not.

If I am wrong please send me a link.

So I ask you the question again, do you believe multinational profits are more important that the health and safety of your fellow citizens.

Chris
Posted by LEFTY ONE, Monday, 26 September 2016 4:27:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy