The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tactical Torch

Tactical Torch

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
OLO is currently carrying an add for a Tactical Torch and in the blurb for the product is the following:

"Due to the outbreak of late night and early morning crimes, officials are asking residents to take safety precautions. Officials stated they don't want residents to buy a gun or even non-lethal items like a taser or pepper spray. Instead they suggest something you probably would never think of - carry a high power flashlight.

The reason is even non-lethal deterrents are still considered weapons and are restricted in many areas...."

I believe that this is misleading as the torch would probably be considered to be a non-lethal weapon.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 20 September 2016 7:25:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, I haven't seen the advertisement. However, it is amusing that wee little aluminium toys can be considered 'tactical self-defence' options. Lethal? Hardly. Unless the weight was there and the owner was strong and could reliably hit the villain heavily from the temple back.

The few better quality ones might be classed 'tactical' (military use), because they are resistant to damage, waterproof and the batteries last.

Personal protection
To have any chance of creating an impression other than derisive laughter, choose a quality full-size torch, something heavy, with a minimum of six D cells and a strong body. Length does matter and over 30cm please.

Are there any say 450mm long and made from galvanised waterpipe? Choose them. LOL

A full can of Rid, ("For insects, Constable") is a better option. But it doesn't come in matte black with a high price tab.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 21 September 2016 9:05:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, the last "road rager" who got out of its car to dish out panel-beating modifications and dispense his own form of justice was met at my drivers side window with a face full of dry chemical powder from the fire extinguisher.

Very effective at putting out idiots as well as fires..and entirely legal to carry in your vehicle.
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Wednesday, 21 September 2016 9:25:56 AM
Albie Manton in Darwin,

Heh, heh, old mate the road rager got a $30 attitude re-adjustment.

A hard-head could have earned the free cylinder as well.

Bet your extinguisher was about due for a swap too ;)
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 21 September 2016 12:19:14 PM
Hi there ALBIE MANTON in DARWIN...

I like your style there ol' fella ! A brilliant tactic as observed by my old mate ONTHEBEACH.

On a more serious note, because of the way most States have fashioned their weapons legislation a citizen (men women or children) are almost bereft of using 'anything' in which to defend themselves against violent attack ! It's left to the copper handling the matter as to whether he'll charge a victim for using some article as an offensive weapon to fraught an assailant, and that's plain wrong.

We've hashed through this legal dilemma ad infinitum and never really got anywhere, and I know that our fellow poster IS MISE has added his considerable voice and experience without a solution ? Maybe it'll take a politicians relative to suffer a serious assault and perhaps some common sense may prevail ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 21 September 2016 1:04:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu,

It is difficult for police and cynical politicians don't make it any easier.

In Queensland, where the 'leadership' of the Labor Palaszczuk government has seen a return of outlaw motorcycle gangs and some new, nasty imported ones and that is even before of the threatened trashing of the successful VLAD laws, the Weapons Act has been changed to make your own private vehicle a 'public place'.

That means that the restrictions on carrying even a pocket knife in a public place, eg the CBD, now apply to the contents of your private vehicle, anywhere.

However, on the bright side, I hope the police will be conducting plenty of searches of the OMG bikies that Labor and Greens are so enamored by and willing to please.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 21 September 2016 1:53:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy