The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is it time to pass the Olympic Games back to Greece?

Is it time to pass the Olympic Games back to Greece?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I heard a report update re the Olympic Games via radio during the night.
The announcer stated words to the effect: "Usain Bolt has done it again! He is good, and nobody is "GOODER" than Bolt!"

Is this another example of the moronic masses that are pandering to the Olympic Games fiasco?

The critics are stating openly that the Games should never have been awarded to Brazil, as the cost to the people far outweighs the return, (which as always seems to financially benefit the rich and powerful), leaving the starving, hidden away masses of humanity to forage for a few crumbs of food to survive!

I think it is time to sack the Olympic Games Committee, for their BUNGLING and either return the whole Olympic Games back permanently to Greece, or do away with it all together?

The world seems to have lost sight of the real principle of athletes from various nations competing against each other for the pure glory of athletic achievement, rather than the disgraceful conduct of some of today`s Games competitors, criticizing, accusing each other of drug performance enhancement, all to gain that almighty Gold Medal, which in the Western World assures them of a bright and very prosperous future.

In essence the Olympic Games have become a monstrous money-making exercise, designed to boost the bank accounts of many that do NOT need it, at the expense of the taxpayers of the host country.
At the end of the day the poorer/poorest constituents have to pick up the bill, or suffer reduced services/infrastructure,...but when you have NOTHING what can you sacrifice?
Posted by Crackcup, Sunday, 14 August 2016 8:58:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When truth flies out the window, so does credibility. Truth is the innocent victim to corruption.
Every institution in the world is corrupt to the core, sport stands in the number one position on the podium of corruption though!

Would it not be more honest to now accept that drugs have won the war, and simply accept the winner with the highest drug level to win.
I think eventually, those honest sports purists who persist with a clean drug-free record, and do so with pride in their personal achievements, will be the winners. A new day will dawn!
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 14 August 2016 10:09:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If Brazil couldn't afford the Games, then Greece most definitely could not afford them. Most countries cannot really afford them. I believe it took Montreal 35 years to pay back the debt. Fortunately, they happen only every four years. Perhaps, like many lavish events resembling Roman 'games' used to pacify the disillusioned masses, they need to be consigned to history so that we can all get our feet back on the ground and live within our means for a change.

In the meantime , Channel 7 gets the wooden spoon for the Games. For the sake of my wife, I have endured, for the past week, hours of the most boring sports there are: swimming, soccer etc, and missing out (apart from the odd few seconds if Australia won something) shooting, archery
and other minor interests that we don't have shoved down our throats every day of the week. To see those, you have to get an app, and wipe out your monthly gigabyte allowance in no time flat. I can't wait for another peaceful 4 years, when programs will return to normal.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 14 August 2016 12:52:25 PM
I'll have you know the Olympic Games are held to celebrate my birthday, leap year, so get your cotton picking hands off it you lot.

Seriously I agree with ttbn, although the Greeks have proven a bit clumsy with money, after the last time, they most definitely know they can't afford, & probably are not silly enough to want the Olympics again let alone permanently.

I must admit to loving the 3 day event coverage. I have never seen such great coverage of any horse event, but then If I never see another game of 7s, soccer, hockey, water polo, volleyball, table tennis, & a host of other stuff I'll consider it a bonus.

The trick is of course, they keep you hanging on, waiting for anything you want to see, by not giving you a time table.

I couldn't believe we were stupid enough to bid for & win the commonwealth games. It just shows the stupidity of politicians, particularly mayors & premiers when their egos are stroked.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 14 August 2016 2:33:48 PM
Yes, Crackup has nailed it. The entire post encapsulates the travesty of sportsmanship and moral standards among those who administer the Olympics, and the vast majority of fee for sport activities around the globe with FIFA being the obvious template for corruption.

Unfortunately Crackup’s assertion of endemic fraud in corporations and large sports administrative organizations is here to stay.

But to cease a global games would impact the millions of rivulets that feed the whole right down to Little Athletics.

But sport of itself and the rote of participating and training are positive character building tools for our youth.We can’t cut the arm off because of one gangrenous finger, we cut off a little piece of the finger........as we did with Sepp Blatter.
Posted by sonofgloin, Sunday, 14 August 2016 3:29:37 PM
Oh hail to the gods of Olympus and sweaty naked men .
Then let Nike, olive oil and gold futures fund the Greek games and all nations declare a military truce.
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 August 2016 6:27:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy