The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Workchoices Vs the politicians pay rise

Workchoices Vs the politicians pay rise

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Pay pollies double what they get now, ban all trade unionists and public servants from entering politics until they have been out of the unions or so-called public service for at least five years. Put in place some media restraints so that they can no longer put the smallest infraction of pollies family and friends into the headlines and we might get some people of value in politics.
BUT don't tell me that workers in this country are underpaid. Australians in work get well paid...at the expense of some of their unpaid colleagues. A senior state public servant was boasting to me this week that they had got a project on track with a great deal of help from an unemployed professional. When I asked if the unemployed professional had been paid it was clear that the issue had not even been considered and then the reply came,"No, we couldn't afford that but she knows she has to do it anyway."
They have been getting a free (and highly professional) service from this person since 1989. I pointed that out and was told that she should not expect to be employed because she can get the Disability Support Pension and workers need the income more. It is an amazingly selfish attitude and a very common one - and one which leaves me wondering how those in full-time employment can put their hands up for a pay rise because she is by no means the only one...so it is not just the pollies who need to rethink their pay rises (although they do too).
Posted by Communicat, Thursday, 21 June 2007 4:38:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I question the understanding of anyone who thinks ALL Australians who work are well paid.
And I question anyone who does not understand an AWA is both a tool for paying at the top or needed end of the scale.
And a far different thing than the imposed agreement presented at the bottom end as a sign this or you do not have a job document.
And few of those higher skilled and higher paid ask this union official for help.
But it remains true, unchallengingly true some 5 year agreements have been imposed without worker input.
This shambolic government knows it and refuses to release information on those agreements.
many take some public holidays, shift allowances, over time , and give no pay rises for those 5 years.
Have we so lost contact with Aussie mate ship that its ok I am alright is the new rule?
An understanding of workchoices and its true impacts now and the future if unchanged is worth gaining.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 21 June 2007 7:10:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly' "An understanding of workchoices and its true impacts now and the future if unchanged is worth gaining."

The problem for many of us is that there is no evidence that anybody is telling us the truth. The unions and labor have pinned labors election hopes on a scare campaign based on workchoices. The union paper used by the government recently provided clear evidence of a willingness to misrepresent workchoices for that end. I'd seen enough in my workplace to give that impression without the leak but it was interesting to see it spelled out.

Howard and others clearly are not telling us the full story either. The suggestion that workers who did not like what they were offered should change jobs ignored the difficulty that poses for many of us.
Older workers with accrued sick leave (which is not transportable), others who have limited options by way of transport and available work hours to meet parenting responsibilities (single working parents etc) may not find it viable to find a suitable position which allows them to meet their responsibilities.

The thing that scared me most was not workchoices but workchoices in the hands of the Queensland government.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 21 June 2007 7:37:50 PM
Politics -
"Poly" meaning "many" and
"Ticks" meaning "blood-sucking parasites".

I would prefer candidates who have a genuine interest in creating a better society - not career opportunists chasing dollars.

If they want real social parity for working conditions and salary, let's see them do the same for their more than generous Superannuation conditions as well.
That way we wouldn't have to sell public assets to fund their pensions.

Oh, and Runner, I'm also under an AWA but my conditions are LESS than those my compatriots enjoy under the Award system.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 21 June 2007 11:20:29 PM
RObert I think you can take it for granted no one truly understands the full impact of workchoices.
A list of questions put to my local member shows he a government member has zero understanding.
That all inclusive word unions, it one day must be known a difference exists between unions and the methods they use.
But if only! if only unions had the ability to drive the ALP!
It is never going to happen ,consider the Rudd years in Queensland politics.
workchoices however, forget the radicals, the lost children of the far left, takes away my right to represent my members.
Not to scream abuse at a boss, not to insult him just to sit at a table and say fair go mate lets talk!
Do you truly want your team to work for less than the bloke down the road?
Workchoices gives the boss the right to make the wrong choice!
One of south east Asia's biggest construction firms is unaware its best personnel are about to walk away mid project because they have a better deal else ware, one that says a worker can be an asset not the enemy.
Far more than workchoices will condemn Howard to his party's worse ever defeat on election night.
Your mob have let their own side down and murdered a mandate that should have been used other than as a weapon against so many who voted for them.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 22 June 2007 7:06:17 AM
As this thread slips away under the weight of duplicated threads I think it needs rounding of.
Some of the politicians who benefit from the pay rise ,not all but too many from all sides of the house would be better used as day labour in a rubbish tip.
And still be under skilled for the job.
However some have no idea that workchoices is being used by some truly bad people, can any one think no boss is bad?
To not only reduce the living standards of those who work for them but their human rights too.
This government is running every add it can in every news paper it can on any subject to hide its true nature.
Seen the small business adds informing them how to bargain? collective bargaining?
Understand that?
That the intent of workchoices in practice is to Dennie workers that right?
That while high income AWAs are one thing the imposed one at the lower end are another .
Roll away thread under the weight of another non existent research student but Australia will remember on election night.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 24 June 2007 7:32:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy