The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Priorities of the First World Feminists of Oz

The Priorities of the First World Feminists of Oz

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15
  13. All
'Germaine Greer once wrote that women have no idea how much men hate them. Thanks to the internet, now we do.' @ccriadoperez.

Now that made me laugh (to myself, how true).
Posted by Cossomby, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 5:10:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Phanto: I did NOT say 'every day'. To each woman personally it may may only be a couple of times a year. But, I meant over my whole teenage / adult whole life! I would have heard this in the 1960, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s: 55 years @ two per year is 110 minimum, but of course there were many more when I was younger, and you heard it directed at other women. Now via the internet etc. you hear this stuff regularly even if it is not directed to you personally.

My point was that it's repetitive and really boring - even if it's not thousands, it certainly feels like it - yes I was mildly exaggerating to express the feeling of never-ending persistence of the same old, same old...

And that alone is a good reason why we don't find it funny.
Posted by Cossomby, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 5:28:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cossomby, "I can see that such banter - jokes that put down women - acts as bonding between boys and men"

Do you imagine that when Tracey Spicer makes references to (say) 'donkey dick' or 'banana dick' that is just an aberration? See here,

http://www.mamamia.com.au/tracey-spicer-confessions/

[Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 12:59:28 PM]

Switch the genders, "Can you see how banter - jokes that put down men - acts as bonding between girls and women"

What about the comparisons women make between the penis and the neck of a dressed turkey? Was the man killed first before his penis was flayed?

Cossomby, "Of course women do finds them funny (peculiar) in one respect - that men seem to have a need to put down women to feel like one of the boys!"

What about women who put down men to feel like one of the girls (or is that Grrls)?

It is the double standard again.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 5:43:12 PM
Cossomby, "Germaine Greer once wrote that women have no idea how much men hate them"

Could anything compare with Greer's patronising hatred of women?

As for men hating women, most women know that to be absolute bollocks!

There are some damaged men and damaged women who stand in need of good counselling though.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 5:56:37 PM
Cossomby:

Well if it is just repetitive and boring then it is not a big problem really is it? Lots of things in life are repetitive and boring.

If it was painful to hear those things then you might have something to complain about but it seems it is just repetitive and boring. It is not even painful. Words cannot hurt anyone. If Wilson is hurt by what Maguire said then she must have a brittle sense of self which is her responsibility. Maguire may have intended to hurt but whether or not he suceeds is really up to her.

The problem is that women want to make this about violence towards women but there was no violence here. Women risk not being taken seriously about violence toward women when they complain about insults that cannot hurt them. Wilson herself said that she certainly did not see the two things as equally grave but nevertheless she still reacted to Maguire's insults when the appropriate response would have been to ignore him and let others deal with his intent to hurt.

"And that alone is a good reason why we don't find it funny."

It was never meant to be funny - it was meant to hurt. The rationalisation of calling it a joke only came because he was exposed. It should be responded to for what it was - an insult intended to hurt but in the bigger scheme of things it should never have achieved its aim and as far as aggression towards a woman goes it is pretty small fare.
Posted by phanto, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 6:11:20 PM
Phanto:

1. It's easy to avoid buses. Don't step in their way, you're usually safe. When buses start telling negative jokes about women, and attacking woman walking past shops (Jill Meagher) or visiting their grandmother's grave (Mersina Halvagis) then I will be more wary. Then they will be as dangerous as men.

2. Rationally I don't expect to be attacked by men. The point I was making is that it's always in the back of women's minds that It could happen to them. (Writing this, I realised I did not have to check Jill's and Mersina's names or their murders, I just knew).

3. I moved to the country: three buses a day to nearest regional centre; more to fear from B-doubles on the highway. I reckon men are men everywhere.

4. 'Take some affirmative action and avoid men as much as you possibly can' - why? I have many great male friends and colleagues, who are as unamused at the demeaning 'banter' as I am. Affirmative action to me means showing men that they can have positive relationships with women - not just sex/marriage but as mothers, sisters, colleagues, friends, mentors - so they do not need to 'hate' them. (Even so, the subconscious nervousness still lurks).

5. 'Set up women only societies where you can almost guarantee you will not be insulted by men'. Why? Wouldn't we all, male, female, adult and especially children, be better of off if men didn't feel the need to insult women so much?

6. 'Constantly complaining about the behaviour of men whilst doing nothing to change your situation is just nagging and nags are cowards. They are too frightened to stand up for their convictions and take control of their own lives.' Wow! What an odd reaction.

I was just attempting to explain why woman might not see the funny side of such 'banter', given the number of times I have heard, or read, that woman can't take a joke or have no sense of humour.

You should ask yourself why you overreacted so much.
Posted by Cossomby, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 6:14:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15