The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should mothers day be a public holiday?

Should mothers day be a public holiday?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
We would not be alive without mothers. The time they have to go through to have a child (or multiple), that develop within the mother and the process of birth within a hospital is worthy of praise.

It's a lot of effort and something to proud off. Mother's should be celebrated - but sadly, I see a lot of mother's leave the fact they are a stay at home mother for example (off their facebook page).

Without my mother, I would not be alive today. I feel we should do more by recognising the important role mothers have played over many centuries and recognise them, in a formal movement with a heart and in multiple spiritualistic elements - not simply (with a day) to sell chocolates and flowers.
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 9 May 2016 1:46:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While we are at it, what about fathers day then children's day.

Who is going to pay?
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 9 May 2016 2:05:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan, do father's have their stay-home status on their Facebook page?
If not, why not? Are they better father's if they stay home with their kids?
Why should mothers indicate whether they are stay at home mothers or not?

There are good and bad parents of both genders who are stay at home parents, just as there are good and bad parents who work outside of the home.
In fact, some of the worst mothers I have ever encountered are ones who are stay at home mothers....those who wouldn't work whether they are mothers or not, and spend all their welfare money on alcohol and drugs.

No, we shouldn't have a public holiday for mothers, because that would mean a whole lot of people would be upset on that day, either because they had no mothers anymore, or they were unable to have children, or their kids have died......
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 9 May 2016 8:29:08 PM
As the founder of Mothers' Day spent a considerable part of her time trying to have it abolished, I think that we should respect her wishes and not make it more entrenched and comercialized than it already is.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 9 May 2016 8:36:49 PM
Yep, lets just have another pubic holiday, don't worry about the disruption to business, or the associated costs, lets just have another day off.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 10 May 2016 5:22:50 AM
Butch, lets have a holiday and call it 'Business Day' and then you will have nothing to bitch about Butch. In fact you can supply the snags (free) for the BBQ and some of that top shelf fillet just for you old forum buddy Paul. Don't worry I'll bring me appetite, you can bring the beer as well.

Just on Mothers Day, my partner "T" was rather chocked up, having dinner at the local pub, she only wanted to go to the pub, with 3 of her 4 grown up children and the mokopunas (grandchildren) etc about 20 in total. Missed her daughter in NZ, who she spoke to earlier in the day. All Mothers love their day, its not about holidays its about family. so Butch you are off the hook.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 10 May 2016 7:03:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy