The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Onset of Dementia and what does one do about it?

Onset of Dementia and what does one do about it?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Thank you all.

The thing is that during all this we've experienced so much kindness. It is just so heartening to receive such caring sentiments.

Yesterday we went out to get our hair cut to look nice for the funeral. On the way home we were stationary at traffic lights when a van smashed into us at about 50 Kim's an hour. The smash, noise etc was massive. It took a while for us to realize we were basically okay, although my daughter copped a wallop in the lumbar region and spent a couple of hours in emergency getting checked out.

Again the kindness of people who stopped to help, the ambos, was so uplifting. Complete strangers and they were simply wonderful - restores one's faith in human nature.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 21 April 2016 2:13:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My sympathies too Poirot. Mine went 3 years ago. If I'm like her I'll be happy. She was fully with it until after her 99Th birthday party, then went downhill quickly. I think for her it was a relief by then.

o sung wu, it's not actually dementia old mate it's just old timers disease. Just as our legs & hands slow down a bit, [& our knees stop working], our brain takes a bit of a holiday occasionally, & works a bit, OK a lot slower.

This has made me a bit depressed, so I think I'll give myself a treat. I'll get into that thing I've got, you know the one with wheels that goes down the road.

I'll go down the shop & get some of that gooey stuff, you know, it used to come in cones, but is now in a plastic box, & bring it home for my treat. One of the good things about self service, you don't have to remember what it's called & ask or it, you can just wander around until you see it & put it in your trolley.

Just have to remember which isles you've already been down, so you don't walk around in circles all day.

One advantage of forgetting names occasionally is that memory starts to skip a bit. You suddenly remember something great from decades ago, that you'd completely forgotten. Makes not being able to remember what a car is called all worthwhile.

Have a good one mate.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 21 April 2016 4:42:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'Day there HASBEEN...

As always your contributions put a huge grin on my ugly dial, with your pragmatic approach to life and life's problems. Therefore I think I'll follow your advice and go to the Hardware store and get a really large chocolate ice cream cone, and if I have the time I'll pop into the Milk Bar and get new screw-driver set and 12.5mm drill bit! You're so right, life can be so extraordinarily good when you're are living in your late seventies, and begin to enjoy your new found wisdom? If only I could remember where it is exactly, that I live, even the right city would be of help?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 21 April 2016 5:12:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh Poirot, I am so sorry for what you are going through.
There aren't any words to make you feel better right now, but know I am thinking of you.

O Sung Wu, good luck, and keep your sense of humour.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 21 April 2016 10:57:02 PM
Thanks, Hasbeen and Suse,

More kindness!....really I am blown away by it.

Everywhere I look people are being so caring - it's a most uplifting experience...the kind that only happens at times like this.

And the other thing is that I keep reliving the impact of that collision the other day - the sound, the force - it was like the world had been reduced to one massive explosion and us!

I've never been in a smash like that - and I'm constantly amazed that we walked away from it without serious injury. The thing that saved us was that he hit our reasonably sized Honda Accord from behind and the boot and chassis absorbed most of the force. If he'd hit the little Kia in front of us, the impact would have squashed it.

Lucky...
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 22 April 2016 7:56:25 AM
That's why I love the Forum. In moments of
personal stress and difficulties over the years
most of the people here have given each other
kind words and support over our troubled times.
Bless you all. Kind words, kindness, compassion,
mean a great deal. Like a warm blanket in winter,
it is a great comfort - especially in times of
adversity.

You, dear Poirot, stay strong, and know that you
are loved.

God Bless!
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 22 April 2016 11:27:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy