The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Chemotherapy ordered for six year old cancer stricken Perth boy..

Chemotherapy ordered for six year old cancer stricken Perth boy..

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Against the parent's wishes, a Perth Court has
ordered chemotherapy be given to the six year
old boy for a brain tumour.

Legal action was made against the parents -
Angels Kiszko and Adrian Strachan - by a doctor
from Princess Margaret Hospital after they denied
the treatment for their son, Oshin. The parents
want palliative care for Oshin so the family can
spend quality time together. Ms Kiszko believes
chemotherapy is "toxic hell" as she watched her
mother and stepmother die from cancer.

The Court heard that if Oshin who had surgery last
year does not get treatment he could die within
months. He's been given a 30 % chance of survival
for the next 5 years if he has the chemotherapy, and
if he combines that with radiotherapy that number
will go up to 50 %.

Family Court Chief Justice Stephen Thackeray said the
possibility of a long term cure -
"Is the matter that must heavily weigh in the decision."

Was the Chief Justice right in making this decision?
Or should it be left up to the parents?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/chemotherapy-ordered-for-oshin-kiszo-cancer-stricken-perth-boy/7310614
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 8 April 2016 5:35:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Also,

<In his judgment, Family Court chief justice Stephen Thackray acknowledged Oshin’s parents had his best interests at heart but “medical evidence” could not be ignored.

“One other matter that I think ought to be given weight is that the uncontested medical evidence is that the great majority of other parents faced with a similar decision would opt for the intervention that the hospital proposes,” he said.

The court was told Oshin would die within months without treatment but would have a 30 per cent change of surviving for five years by undergoing chemotherapy and a 50 per cent chance with both chemotherapy and radiotherapy>
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/parents-of-sixyearold-perth-boy-with-malignant-tumour-ordered-to-enrol-him-in-chemotherapy-treatment/news-story/76b8067cded0685183c499c5850a37b0

To put it another way, what argument is there for denying this young, strong patient a longer life and the likelihood of remission for many years, perhaps for life?

If he is to be denied treatment, what argument is there for providing cancer treatment to (say) the middle aged?
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 8 April 2016 11:25:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

While I am all for locking up moronic parents that wish to deny their children treatment for a deadly disease because they believe in new age nonsense, this time I really feel for the parents and am not sure I wouldn't have made the same decision.

The parents have already tried, and seen their child suffer severe paralysis, and have been advised that it is "a condition from which most survivors suffer lifelong, radiation-induced brain damage – if they survive at all."

So the probability is that their child will die a prolonged agonizing death, or if the treatment "cures" the cancer, he will be severely brain damaged, and unable to care for himself. Either way in 5 years, what will be left will not be recognizable as their son.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 9 April 2016 8:12:17 AM
SM, Foxy,

Yep...I purposely didn't pursue the detail of the story - thanks SM for summarising the dilemma for the parents.

"So the probability is that their child will die a prolonged agonizing death, or if the treatment "cures" the cancer, he will be severely brain damaged, and unable to care for himself. Either way in 5 years, what will be left will not be recognizable as their son."

It's because the child is so young that those who would force this treatment on him feel they are justified.

What dignity is there in falling apart...

My elderly Mum. after a couple of years of problems, has recently been diagnosed with late stage cancer. She's very weak and watching herself disintegrate - as are we. All trying to do our best to make her last days comfortable.

But she's 89...and is stoically accepting her fate. There's nothing medically that can be done except palliative care, kindness and keeping family and friends close and engaged.

She's presently awaiting a nursing home spot - and we've just heard that she will be able to go to the nursing facility attached to the unit where she lived. Small mercies - it has made her happy as she feels she's going home.

Prior to the last couple of weeks, it was doctors and people prodding her, confusion and constant explanations to professionals who would come to see her armed with half the details.

Lately though, it's been much calmer - and we're concentrating on her remaining days having "quality".
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 9 April 2016 10:14:39 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

This is a decision that Thank God our
family has never had to make and I certainly feel
for the parents. In all honesty I don't know
what our decision would be under the same
circumstances. I feel though if there was a 50
percent chance of our child surviving with treatment -
I would probably take that chance. Don't forget that
in this particular case - it was a doctor at the
child's hospital in Perth who took the case to court.
Thereby indicating that they believed the child had
a chance of surviving with treatment.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 9 April 2016 10:22:01 AM
OTB and Poirot,

This is a complicated case and none of us can really
say what we would do when faced with this sort of
situation. I think many of us would cling to life unless
the circumstances were such that it was a hopeless case.

Dear Poirot, I am so sorry for your family. May your
mother find peace and her last days be positive ones.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 9 April 2016 10:32:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy