The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Pauline is back.

Pauline is back.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
When Pauline Hanson made her maiden speech to parliament she was ridiculed and misquoted in the media. The campaign against her was virulent and false. Hanson has never made a racist comment in public. She has aired her views and stated facts.

The vast majority never read her first speech, but took every connotation they have of that speech from the media. The big two parties worked tirelessly to sabotage her party because many voters agreed with her “Australia comes first” philosophy. Two decades later and Hanson is still around talking the same common sense that both parties left behind a generation of politicians ago.

In that time she has become succinct and her words cannot be hijacked for a xenophobic attack.

“You don’t have to be white to be an Australian.
We only ask that you learn to read and write, respect
our laws and constitution and join in with the rest of us."
Pauline Hanson.

One Nation may be our only chance to “keep the bastards honest” as Don Chipp said 40 years ago.
Posted by sonofgloin, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 1:34:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's of no import now, due to the treachery of the Coalition and Greens it'll be very difficult for small parties and independants to enter the senate. A friend of mine, a migrant who grew up in Franco's Spain said to me 15 years ago that the Liberals under Howard were becoming a "big mafia" just like the Fascists and Australia was "not democracy", he's been proven right.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 6:21:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sonofgloin thinks Hansen never made a racist comment publicly.

Hansen statements include :
"My fear is that if we keep going the way that we're going ... the yellow race will rule the world, because they have a different culture. A different way of life." (Bulletin, October 22, 1996)

"I believe we are in danger of being swamped by Asians ... They have their own culture and religion, form ghettos and do not assimilate." (Parliament, September 10, 1996)

Hanson and One Nation comrades exaggerated the Asian immigration figures of the day to create fear....eg One Nation's immigration policy claimed that 70% of migrants come from Asian countries; the real figure is 37%. If they weren't racist, why go on about these figures anyway?

So, have we been 'swamped' by Asians since 1996? No. Are the Chinese 'ruling the world'? No.
Now, people like this racist woman and her old political party rant the same slogans about Muslims....and it is still racist.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 10 March 2016 12:07:08 AM
Suse,

When are you going to realise that Muslims are not a race, nor is Islam nor the Umma?

Maybe to lump non-race groups as races is racist?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 10 March 2016 2:02:06 AM
The Liberals want to get rid of independents and minorities and maintain a strict two-party composition in parliament because they fear the rise of ethnic based political parties. I suppose it is a case of multiculturalism coming back to bite them on the bum. I say to the Liberals 'Tough bananas! Get over it and get on with your lives.'
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 10 March 2016 4:39:47 AM
Of course the Liberals will benefit. But the usual suspects ignore the fact that so will the ALP and the Greens, both of whom support changes in the Senate.

Suseonline again rushes in, proud to display her ignorance and bigotory.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 10 March 2016 9:23:18 AM
the truth hurt back then and it still hurts today. The modern day politician, with the exception of a few, are more focused on re election rather than tackling the tough issues that we are confronted with as a nation because if they did that, the majority would vote them out.

I guess you cant blame them either because a second, third term just further secures and tops up their 'set for life' pensions.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 10 March 2016 9:31:16 AM
Is Mise, where did I say Muslims were a race? I was talking about the racism displayed against people who practice that religion of course. I would have thought that was obvious.
Ttbn rushes in with his usual troll behavior, again....
Still crying over the demise of the worst politician Australia ever had then?
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 10 March 2016 10:12:04 AM
Pauline Hanson was back at the previous election too, but very few voted for her. Her paranoia about Asians seems laughable nowadays.

Mr Opinion, so does yours. And IIRC the only candidates who stood on an ethnic based platform were Aboriginal.

ttbn, the ALP support changes in the Senate, but oppose these particular changes. As do I.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 10 March 2016 10:19:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pauline is back?

Where?

Last time she received any significant air time was to encourage people to question vaccination.

She pops up at every election and secures just enough votes to get a payment from the electoral commission.

Nice little earner...

That's her contribution to politics in this country at this juncture.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 10 March 2016 10:27:28 AM
I remember Pauline Hanson's statement when she was first elected to parliament. She promised to represent white people. A parliamentarian who is not prepared to represent all the constituents in the electoral district does not belong in parliament. It's that simple.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 10 March 2016 10:39:46 AM
You obviously miss the point David f.

The problem is that no one was representing white people. She was offering to do that to even up the playing field just a little.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 10 March 2016 1:19:58 PM
>>Posted by david f, Friday, 16 December 2011 9:52:41 AM
I remember Pauline Hanson's words on being elected. She claimed that she would represent white people. That sounded very racist.<<

David you said that 4 years ago.......show me where she said that?......I know you said that, but did she? Give me a link. You could not show the forum then, and I suspect you can’t now.

Suse>> the yellow race will rule the world, because they have a different culture. A different way of life." (Bulletin, October 22, 1996)<<

Sounds pretty factual to me Suse, not a racist comment at all. China is the power house of the 21st century. Stupid Australia has just leased the port of Darwin to them and sold them some of our largest agri business in the pasty 12 months...........that sounds like they are ruling to me. Perhaps it does not at your local cafe latte haunt, but they may own that soon.........lololol

Suse concern yourself with what Hanson said today, not media twisted misquotes from a decade ago.

“You don’t have to be white to be an Australian.
We only ask that you learn to read and write, respect
our laws and constitution and join in with the rest of us."
Pauline Hanson.
Posted by sonofgloin, Thursday, 10 March 2016 1:20:25 PM
Is Mise,
You are wasting your time cobber!

Suse knows that Islam is an ideology and not a race, so therefore criticism of Islam or Muslims cannot be deemed as racist. This has been explained to her many times but she does not want to acknowledge that, as she uses the accusation of racist to put her opponents on the defensive. The tactics of one who has no counter arguments.

Sonofgloin,
Perhaps at this point we should be supportive of Australian Liberty Alliance. I am impressed with their policies and the quality of their Senate candidates.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 10 March 2016 1:56:26 PM
Talk about weasel words banjo.
Ok so "technically" it is not racism.
It is BIGOTRY.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 10 March 2016 2:02:30 PM
Dear sonofgloin,

I remember very well what she said at the time of her election and remember being shocked by what she said. You can try to put lipstick on that pig.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 10 March 2016 2:02:35 PM
I agree with David F., You can try to put
lipstick on that pig or you can wrap an old fish in
a piece of paper called change, it's still going
to smell after a couple of days.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 March 2016 2:49:36 PM
Banjo>> Perhaps at this point we should be supportive of Australian Liberty Alliance. I am impressed with their policies and the quality of their Senate candidates.<<

Banjo, Aussies have never been a nation to wrap itself up in its flag. We just love the place and the easy going nature of our people. Our culture is a mix made from all the immigrants that came here and our first Australians. If we like it we adopt it.

But to some on this forum it is humanitarian blasphemy to ask others to assimilate, even though if we like what they bring we will take it in and call it our own. If we don’t like it we should have the right to reject it.

I believe a party such as the ALA have this mantra at their core. Take care of Australians first, protect our communal vested interests. But as I said some see this as xenophobia rather than justified pragmatism.

Davidf>>I remember very well what she said at the time of her election and remember being shocked by what she said. You can try to put lipstick on that pig.<<

Well David you recollection is not enough for me, as it was not enough for the forum in 2011. I love the lipstick on a pig line, it is funny and fitting in many cases. Given we are talking lipstick on a pig. At about the same time your memory served you well the first time in 2011 does your memory retain the words of the British prime minister, David Campbell, in February 2011.......In his first speech as prime minister he said:

“State multiculturalism has failed”.

The Brits put lipstick and mascara on that pig for thirty years. It seems you can’t turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.
Posted by sonofgloin, Thursday, 10 March 2016 3:24:49 PM
Foxy>> I agree with David F., You can try to put
lipstick on that pig or you can wrap an old fish in
a piece of paper called change, it's still going
to smell after a couple of days.<<

That was very witty foxy dear. For some reason that is beyond me you carry disdain for Australia, the way it is and the way we were. Given your parents were migrants who found an accommodating nation that educated and nurtured you, you are never on Australia’s side. Talk about bite the hand.
Posted by sonofgloin, Thursday, 10 March 2016 3:30:50 PM
........Mr Opinion........before you jump on me for calling David Cameron, David Campbell.........I can only say all Scotts look the same to me............lolololol
Posted by sonofgloin, Thursday, 10 March 2016 3:38:27 PM
Dear SOG,

Regardless of what you may feel - most of the
country was and is critical of Pauline Hanson's
sentiments. Hence her lack of support and this does
not equate with being critical of Australia.
As a matter of fact - she certainly does not
represent the feelings of most of us Australians.
Only a small parochial minority such as
yourself. Still - Not enough to get her
into Parliament. But you go right ahead and put
lipstick on her as David F., suggested. To me
she still smells like a fish.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 March 2016 3:58:37 PM
Foxy dear.....your opinion is as valid as it has always been. By all means partner up with David, who cannot put a source to his claims apart from memory...........lolololol
Posted by sonofgloin, Thursday, 10 March 2016 5:23:18 PM
Davidf.
You cannot source the quote because it does not exist. You suggest it was in Pauline's maiden speech, well you can google that as it would be the most read and copied maiden speech in the Parliamentry history. But many quotes from Pauline were either out of context or simply made up by the journalists at the time. Hence no racist charges have been upheld against her. Beattie and Abbott colluded to jail her on false charges of which she was finally aquited. No compensation was paid to her for wrongful imprisonment or costs, much to the shame of Australia and Queensland. Nor was the near $1 million in electoral funding paid back to her. That is why I have never supported Abbott and never will.

Foxy certainly does hold disdain for Australia as shown by her claim that Australia is racist and her made up 'facts' to prove it.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 10 March 2016 6:11:13 PM
Dear Banjo,

Once again I shall make it clear that criticising
racist actions by some in this country is not
the same as expressing disdain for this
country. Also the facts given were taken from a
link - and not something that I made up.
They were also backed by facts checked with
Fact - check.

Dear SOG,

I don't judge people through either the prism
of Pauline Hanson's own stereotypes or
yours. And unfortunately I can't make the
claim that your opinions have the same validity
that they have always had. They're losing their
validity with each post you express in this
discussion. I shan't by responding to you any
further. You're too parochial for my taste.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 10 March 2016 6:27:17 PM
Foxy,
No genuine Australian would disparage Australia by claiming 'facts' of racism with incorrect and unfounded items. So yes you are diametrically the opposite to what the essence of being Australian is.

No Australian would misrepresent his country that way.

Remember, you said, "People who are in denial about racism in this country are simply ignorant. Lets look at the facts - we imprison
brown asylum seekers, we once celebrated our national day
with a white racist riot. There were assaults on Indian
students, a little political organisation called
One Nation, and of course "the intervention" - the heraldic
beak on our long hawkish treatment of Indigenous Australians".
Foxy, OLO Friday 18-4-2014 12.18.35

Pity you do not have enough character to admit you stated that, and that it is wrong, and you were wrong to make such utterances.

I remind you again that the above does not quote anyone else, they are your words, in your name, and you have plenty of opportunity to withdraw and apologize. You did not fact check!
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 10 March 2016 8:01:55 PM
Dear Banjo,

I told you in 2014, and I shall repeat it now -
"Try working through this discussion from page 1
onwards - many links have been provided for you from
a wide variety of sources on the subject by
both myself, SteeleRedux, and others on examples of
racism in this country. It is also identified in
research.

Scanlon Foundation the National data from the
Challenging Racism Project was released in 2011 and
gave us information about the problem of racism and
attitudes about racism.

If this does not satisfy you, you can always Google
the subject for yourself on the web. There's nothing more
that I can do for you. However I suspect that no
matter what's presented you will continue to reject the
evidence as you've done thus far.

Do you know what we call opinion that rejects evidence.
We call it prejudice.

Prejudice is a great time saver . You can have opinions
without having to get the facts.

I won't be responding to your attacks any further.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 March 2016 9:42:28 AM
Foxy,
Well the evidence is there. Your words, in your name. Or, you used somebody elses words because you liked them and without acknowledgement.

I do not care that you wont reply further, as I said the evidence is there for all to see. I will remind you when I see the need.

You have made your bed, you lie in it.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 11 March 2016 10:00:54 AM
Suse,

Let's get at least one thing straight. I was, and am, no friend of Abbott's. I thought he was too weak, and told him so several times in writing. I have to commend him, however, on the fact that he ALWAYS responded to me, unlike his assassin who is a low-life Leftist, more to your liking. I accept that you are a hard-core contrarian and pain in the posterior, but at least try to abuse people for what they are, and not what you think they are. You are like a cow in a China shop. Not my non-sexist restraint in not calling you a bull in a china shop.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 11 March 2016 11:19:02 AM
ttbn, you wrote to the PM? Stalking?
I'm not surprised, and nor am I surprised he responded.
Two like-minded people with their heads stuck in the past.

Pauline has been gone a long time now old boy, isn't it time to move on yourself....
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 12 March 2016 7:11:31 PM
I'd probably swap several Gillards for a single Hanson....
Maybe Hanson was politically foolish and a little too outspoken for her own good but I think she generally meant well for the people in this country.

The establishment made sure she never got her foot in the door, maybe this is or isn't a bad thing depending on which way you look at it, but shes still an Australian and she did have the courage to try to stand up to the bigwig politicians for what she believed in and I'll always give her credit for that.

If you cant respect her for that well I question how 'aussie' any of you guys really are..
But maybe my idea of 'aussie' is different to yours..

And yeah sure 'please explain' was funny as and we all got a joke out of it back in the last millenium, and all the other funny stuff back when things weren't so PC.

Pauline has a place in Aussie history...
Whether famous or infamous, doesn't really matter.
She embraced the "Have a go" attitute.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 13 March 2016 10:43:57 PM
Armchair Critic "Maybe Hanson was politically foolish and a little too outspoken for her own good but I think she generally meant well for the people in this country."

Hanson 'meant well' only for her beloved white, European/Anglo type Aussies, but not at all for our original Aussies, nor our Aussies of Asian origin.
She was quite simply an intellectually challenged racist...followed by other people of similar attributes.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 14 March 2016 11:53:34 PM
Anybody remember this?

http://www.randomswill.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/rednecks.jpg

Still cracks me up :)
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 15 March 2016 10:18:51 PM
Well had a good bash at Pauline ?
About one thing she was spot on, the Chinese are taking over, certainly
here in the shopping centre,, mainly as shoppers not so much shopkeepers.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 31 March 2016 5:21:15 PM
The local high schools are about 90% Chinese.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 31 March 2016 5:22:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy