The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is the modern day qualified butcher a thing of the past.

Is the modern day qualified butcher a thing of the past.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
There is a growing trend in butchery for owners to avoid employing qualified butchers as the industry is simply unable to sustain the wages, even though they are among the lowest paid trades.

The main problem of cause is that the majority of butchers are not really butchers at all, because the modern day training system is very inadequate in applying the required skills and expectations are so low.

Back in my days as an apprentice, to qualify meant spending time at college however these days colleges are a thing of the past as all training is 'on the job' training.

What this means is to qualify one only needs to show that they have performed a task, not perfected it.

So the end result is these newly qualified people in the workforce who don't cut it.

As retailers we are like farmers, 'price takers' so while by all accounts, and comparing trades such as electrical, we should be getting about $40 per kilo for quality rump steak, yet struggle to get $26. I'm 55 and can do the work of two or three of these so called tradesmen.

So when the cost of employing a butcher, about $30 per hour all things considered (they receive about $23 of that) the only way shops can survive these days is to hire apprentices, most have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th then farm them out once their time is up. Others choose to run the gauntlet and pay mainly cash wages.

So the result is all these trades qualified people out there with little to no real prospects of finding, let alone keeping a full time job.

It's an industry that has been crippled by ruthless supermarket chains and consumer demand for cheaper products. Fruit shops and bakeries are having the same issues.

The problem is these young people, mainly guys, spend their low paid apprenticeship years training to what these think is a high standard, only to be rejected, meanwhile our industry suffers.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 7:19:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear rehctub,

We've been very lucky - we've had the best butcher-shop
and butcher over all these years. All I have to do is
tell my butcher what dish I am planning to cook for
either the family or a dinner party - and he'll recommend
the cut of meat. He's never disappointed me.

I'm sure that his staff are learning from the "master,"
and will undoubtedly do well in their future careers.
I consider ourselves very lucky to have found a butcher
who's so passionate about his job.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 8:51:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear rehctub,

I appreciate your passion for the skills involved and the pride in your trade. Unfortunately in our changing society trades get automated out and are replaced by substitutes.

My son was once a qualified printer. Qualified printers have been replaced by computer programs which organise printing setups.

He is now a professor of anthropology.

In our current world a prime skill remains that of finding a way to make a living when a trade disappears.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 9:39:01 AM
Yes Foxy, that's exactly how I run my shop and I am teaching my boys the same way. If you don't have passion you will fail these days.

david, I had a guy in my shop 15 years ago, he was about mid 50's.

When I asked him how he was going he told me when he was 21 he was one of two people who could set a certain type of print up and was paid $50,000 per year working for the SMH, he said he thought with his skills he was set for life, then came the computers, the rest is history however he did say he got the odd job here and there for his line of specialized work.

Butchering is not so much suffering from automation, rather from the industry being unable to afford the wages now, even though they are very low. All driven by the consumer however things are changing so lets hope.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 12:28:58 PM
Butch, didn't we cover this in a thread you posted about a month ago regarding butcher qualifications and the mass merchants?
Posted by sonofgloin, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 1:09:48 PM
Hi there REHCTUB...

I do understand what you mean Butch, though I suspect it's not only isolated to to your Trade of Butchery. Also there are some trades that are regulated by government licencing protocols eg, electricians; aerospace mechanics, in fact anything to do with servicing Aircraft; plumbers and a few others. Whether Butchery is also mandated by government as a control mechanism, I can't be sure?

But many of the traditional trades are; as you correctly aver, trained 'on the job' as it were. I guess there's some benefits in such training, as you learn only what's necessary to do that specific job, with nothing else that might be considered as superfluous.

Even in my old job, you learn the formal (law) material that's needed for the job and later for Court, while you're still in the Academy. And upon graduation, you're 'buddied' up with a senior member, and off you go to put into practice all the stuff you were required to learn in the classroom. However what happens in reality, your senior off-sider will probably mutter something like;

'...forget what they teach you in the Academy, it's all just bullsh.t, I'll show you how we really do things on the street...!

In my humble opinion, there's probably room for both methods of training? An equal mix of 'formal' (classroom/workshop) and 'informal' (on the job) training. I'm not sure whether you would agree with me Butch?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 1:19:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy