The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Perspective on bullying

Perspective on bullying

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Poirot:

“So why then are you isolating and discriminating against this young person and his stated issues with your diatribe on this thread?”

That is a very good question. I think I have actually got it wrong in trying to appeal to his and the media’s sense of fairness and perspective. It is actually a lot worse than that.

Of course every individual who is bullied has the same right to take the education department to court but along with that right goes a responsibility to tell the truth and to not try and emotionally manipulate people via the media or even in the courtroom.

This kid is doing just that. Either it is all coming from him or maybe his mother or even his lawyer - all of which stand to benefit if there is judgement in their favour. This could cost the taxpayers a lot of money.

If his claims are genuine and he thinks he has a good case for compensation then he should present his case without trying to emotionally manipulate the press, the readers of the article and anyone else who hears his story. He should trust the justice system to deliverer justice when a good argument is presented.

His behaviour and his words are simply meant to manipulate by dramatising, by lying and by trying to induce guilt where none is appropriate. If he has a genuine case then he does not need to resort to these tactics.

The media also have a responsibility to be fair to the kid and also the school and education department. They should present the facts as they are known and not the attempts to emotionally manipulate. Giving him a platform to manipulate others is irresponsible and akin to publishing propaganda. It makes it look like they are taking sides and that is not their role.
Posted by phanto, Monday, 29 February 2016 11:38:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there POIROT...

It's really great to see you back POIROT!

Anyway to the topic at hand - I don't like bullies or those spineless 'hanger's on' who generally associate with bullies, in order to reflect in their so called 'power', you all know the type, the noisy urger's, belittler's and sneerer's, all laughing from the sidelines!

In my time, I've observed many people being subjected to all manner of intimidatory behaviour, either verbally, physically or both. I've copped it myself from a boss who could only supervise through the medium of bullying, and it makes your life absolutely miserable to a point where I was considering asking him out to the car park, in order to settle this issue. Luckily for me, I was transferred and the problem was immediately resolved. Also in my former job, to assault a superior NCO or Officer can mean suspension with or without pay, even dismissal if it's considered serious enough.

All incidences of bullying are bad, it has such a deleterious effect on people, and lets face it life's hard enough. It's not a case of 'man up' or 'grow up' even 'toughen up', it's just a bastard of a thing to do to anybody in my opinion.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 29 February 2016 11:40:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I believe that the young boy is now in a different
school and is quite happy there.

It is a shame that
the move wasn't made earlier and that the young man
had to suffer for two years.

Whatever the reason for
the bullying - schools are supposed to be responsible
for providing students with a safe and supportive
environment (and staff that are appropriately trained
to protect pupils from bullying and harassment.
This school failed in its job.

The mother has spent $4,000 dollars to try to rectify
the situation - to no avail. Putting the ring-leader
and his cohorts in the young boy's class did not help
matters either. What was the Principal thinking?
And why didn't the mother take her son out of that
school? Bullying must not be tolerated in any school.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 29 February 2016 12:00:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

Good post.

"....And why didn't the mother take her son out of that
school? Bullying must not be tolerated in any school."

That is a good question. However, in many instances, parents are intimidated by the system while simultaneously having some faith that the system, and the people entrusted to run it, will deliver justice.

Unfortunately that's not always the case.

Consequently standing up to principals and teachers often requires some courage and proactive behaviour...something which some parents find a bit of a challenge. Therefore, things tend to be allowed to just ride along until peak misery is attained by the victim, whence something is done to help them - if they're lucky.

Judging by the responses from many on this thread, they would be quite happy to be themselves mercilessly lampooned and threatened...they seem to think it's a sign of macho weakness to call bullying out.
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 29 February 2016 12:15:51 PM
Hi o sung wu,

I eventually caught up with your earlier post concerning me on another thread - and replied to it.

Hope you're keeping well.

Cheers
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 29 February 2016 12:19:17 PM
I think it comes down to low emotional intelligence.

A boy is "raised" by his parent[s] to watch whatever rated movie he likes and to play whatever shoot-em-up game he can get his hands on. He is not taught to care, not taught to be respectful and not taught to 'live and let live'.

The bully is obviously unsure of his place in the world and wants to enforce his desires through haunting the live's of others.

I agree that all bullying is undesirable, I just question the timing of the article. Any victim of bullying should be able to correct what went wrong, but I don't like how the media will pick and choose what cases to report based on what they think will sell. Either someone (all) being bullied is (are) newsworthy or none of it is.
Posted by Prebs, Monday, 29 February 2016 12:37:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All