The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Darwin Day

Darwin Day

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Today, February 12, is the birth date of Charles Darwin born in 1809. Although he was not the first to put forth the idea that the proliferation of life on earth was the product of evolution he amassed such a wealth of evidence that the idea could no longer be denied by those who examined the evidence. Modern medicine, geology, biology and all the other life sciences incorporate his findings.

In 2015 in the United States, Delaware's governor Jack Markell declared February 12 “Charles Darwin Day”, making Delaware the first state in the United States of America to formally mark the occasion. House Resolution 67, introduced by Representative Jim Hines in the United States House of Representatives on February 2, 2015 would designate February 12 as Darwin Day in the United States. It would recognize Darwin as "a worthy symbol on which to focus...a global celebration of science and humanity."

Let us celebrate February 12 as Darwin Day. If you are a citizen of Australia please contact your representative in parliament to introduce such a resolution. If you live in the United States of America please ask your representative in Congress to support Hines’ resolution.
Posted by david f, Friday, 12 February 2016 10:51:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed Davidf.
Darwin was certainly a man before his time, and a very inquisitive mind in a world where many had even more closed minds than they do today.

I am surprised though that the strong, church minded people of the day didn't burn him at the stake. We know now what a genius he was.
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 12 February 2016 12:47:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Happy birthday, Mr. Darwin.

I purchased a copy of 'The Descent of Man' a few months back and it's been on my 'to read' list ever since because I've been distracted by other books. I think I might start reading it tonight.

But in celebrating the life and work of Darwin, it would be a shame if we forgot about Alfred Russell Wallace (born 8th January), a contemporary of Darwin's who independently came up with the theory of evolution by natural selection. When Darwin's ideas were first presented to the Linnaean Society, it was part of a joint presentation which also included Wallace's paper on the subject.

Sadly, history has been unjust to poor Wallace - hardly anybody has even heard of him, but everyone knows who Darwin is. If we're going to have a Darwin Day, it seems only fair that we also have a Wallace Day (and a Newton Day, Einstein Day, Lavoisier Day, Davy Day etc. - and we should make them all public holidays).
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 12 February 2016 1:43:19 PM
Damn! I thought this was the Bombing of Darwin Anniversay celebration.

But thats in a week https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Darwin
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 12 February 2016 3:08:11 PM
God deniers can celebrate a dead man. I prefer to celebrate the Resurrected Man. He did more good than all others put together. Darwin gave god deniers an excuse to deny the obvious. Darwin's theories have be proven hopelessly flawed but I suppose in many ways he is no different from any other dead idol.
Posted by runner, Friday, 12 February 2016 5:05:16 PM
//Darwin's theories have be proven hopelessly flawed//

When? And by whom?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 12 February 2016 5:16:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy