The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > An Unnecesary Office

An Unnecesary Office

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
In referring to the drive for a republic “We need an Australian head of state” is a remark often made. It puzzles me. Why do we need a head of state at all? As the monarchy in England evolved into a constitutional monarchy the monarch became a ceremonial figure, and the prime minister carried out the laws that parliament made. The head of state is a figurehead who is a presence at ceremonial occasions. In England the monarch is the head of state. An Australian head of state would serve the function that the monarch serves in England.

A republic does not need someone to take the place of the monarch. If a ceremonial occasion is sufficiently important the prime minster should be present. If it is not sufficiently important the prime minister can designate a person to represent Australia.

The office of head of state is merely another political mouth at the trough. We don’t need it.
Posted by david f, Monday, 25 January 2016 4:58:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We need an authority separate from the legislators so that in the rare circumstances where the law making process fails they can take action to rectify the problem. The Governor General's job is most of the time ceremonial but they do have reserve powers that they can use in times of crisis.

If people are so concerned that we must have an Australian head of state, then why don't we just declare the Queen to be an Australian? (It was a long time ago that I read the constitution, but as far as I can remember there wouldn't be anything in it that directly prohibits this. I'm guessing the UK laws would prevent it, but that doesn't stop us call her Australian even if they reject it.)

Personally, I don't care either way about a Monarchy or Republic. If we become a republic I'd be happy with an elected or appointed head of state: as long as we don't have the American system where the President alone is the executive branch. The Cabinet consisting MPs forming the executive works very well in my opinion.

What I do question though is: Why do we have a prime minister? Now, there's a job which is not really needed. Getting rid of it would remove a lot of distracting drama from our politics.
Posted by thinkabit, Monday, 25 January 2016 7:02:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David, I agree the need for a head of state is somewhat dubious at best.
Hi thinkabit, what you are really saying is if the democratically elected representatives of the people should get out of line. then we need an appointed member of the establishment like the GG, to return us to the straight and narrow. Democracy is fine providing it does not upset the established order of a good capitalist society that Australia must be.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 5:53:38 AM
When all else fails its time for fists to settle disputes as some countries do.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 6:24:19 AM
Paul1405, "capitalist society that Australia must be"

The Marxism preferred by the Greens would never provide them with the Centrelink benefits and health care and housing that so many of them enjoy.

It is particularly noticeable that the high-rolling toffs of the Greens 'Protest' Party live well when the taxpayer is footing the bill. What about that vacant space Larissa Waters, the Greens Nancy Reagan lookalike ('the lights are on but there is no-one at home'), with her big spend including rooftop lawn. See here,

<GREENS Senator Larissa Waters spent a whopping $414,000 to fit out her trendy Paddington office – more than any of her Queensland political colleagues at the time.

The office, on the top floor of a pristine-condition, split-level building on Given Tce, includes a rooftop patio with timber outdoor furniture and artificial turf>
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-greens-senator-larissa-waters-spent-414000-on-fitout-for-paddington-office/story-fnihsrf2-1226889449998
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 6:29:04 AM
Dear onthebeach,

I am a Green and do not prefer Marxism.

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=12693 will point you to "Why so many Corpses?" which is an article I wrote on the propensity of Marxism for producing corpses. As far as I know most Greens do not prefer Marxism. I am a Green because there is a greater concern for what is happening to the environment in the Greens than in either of the major parties.

Marxist governments have committed atrocities on the environment. The old Soviet Union plowed up the chernozem in Ukraine producing a dust bowl thirty years after the US got rid of theirs. Chinese have built the Three Gorges Dam. Capitalism societies in general have shown a greater concern for the environment than Marxist societies.

I appreciate the fact that you do not feed wildlife.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 8:37:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy