The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Vote for Trump.

Vote for Trump.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
What seems to have largely escaped Australia's attention is just how much of a total loon Ben Carson is. This became apparent to me recently when I saw someone on OLO drop his name so casually, as if he were a normal and sane person. Some of what he has said actually makes Trump look like a viable option. Google it for a good laugh.

Given the calibre of Republican candidates this time arou… or, anytime really, I would have thought Jeb Bush had this one in the bag, if only for his surname (ignoring the legacy that it’s attached to). He probably thought that too, but Trump has tapped into an ignorance or bigotry in a way that no-one else could get away with.
Posted by AJ Philips, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 9:26:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh, this just in...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/19/sarah-palin-endorses-donald-trump-for-president

Need we say any more?
Posted by AJ Philips, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 9:50:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan, Hillary Clinton is a proven failure. She has stuffed up at everything she has done.

Obama is a total catastrophe. There is not a single thing he has done that is not a failure, & he is now trying to destroy the US economy.

Just looking at Rudd, or Turnbull makes thinking people feel dirty, & Clinton is very close to the same. At least Trump has the guts to say what he thinks. We will see if the yanks have enough guts left to go with that, or would prefer to pretend everything is great.

One thing you have to give the lefties, they can sense who is strong enough to give them & their white ant tactics trouble. Anyone who gets up the nose of lefties & the stupid feminists, can't be too bad.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 1:23:21 PM
Hasbeen: Trying to destroy the Yank economy?
You must be joking. It has been on borrowed time and money for decades.
It is only a matter of time or when China forecloses to be put out of it's misery.
What they need is a new leader like the UK Labour Jeremy Corbyn.
You must be one of those that believed the scare of "reds under the bed" and are still believing it.
Posted by Robert LePage, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 2:12:00 PM
You've got to be joking Robert LePage.

Hell I wouldn't even wish Jeremy Corbyn on my worst enemy, if I had one. He makes even Obama, or Turnbull look sort of intelligent.

Please confirm that you are serious, not delirious
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 2:21:35 PM
To really understand why Trump (and Sanders) are attracting so much support, you need to look at the effects of globalisation. Most American men are receiving lower real wages than in the 1970s, and most of those who are technically better off have only gotten a few crumbs. Women are somewhat better off, although they still earn less than men on average, and I suspect that for every woman rejoicing in better opportunities, there is an exhausted mother who wishes that she didn't have to do paid work or work such long hours. All of the benefits of economic growth have gone to the folk at the top. The black community has been particularly hard hit. See

http://www.stateofworkingamerica.org/subjects/wages/?reader

especially Fig. 4D. Also

http://www.nber.org/digest/may07/w12518.html

Free trade (replacing good manufacturing jobs with low wage, insecure service jobs) and mass migration (especially illegal immigration) are among the weapons that the elite use against their fellow citizens. From the point of view of the losers, Hillary Clinton and the mainstream Republican candidates are just offering more of the same.

The American people actually forced their elite to shut down the first era of globalisation after World War I. The war had shut down international trade and mass migration, and wages and conditions improved greatly for ordinary people. After the war, the elite wanted to go back to business as usual. They were confronted with huge, violent labour disputes, where strikers confronted what were effectively private armies. There were bloody race riots that often started with conflict between American blacks and the migrants displacing them from their jobs. Some of those "wonderful hardworking immigrants" were violent Anarchists or Communists, and happy to share their ideology with the locals. Anarchist cells were targeting politicians, high government officials, and business leaders for assassination. There was also the salutary example of what was happening in Russia. It wasn't a question of the triumph of the bigots and economic illiterates. The elite caved because they were afraid of a revolution. See

http://aeon.co/essays/history-tells-us-where-the-wealth-gap-leads
Posted by Divergence, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 2:33:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy