The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Aged employment failure in the APS.

Aged employment failure in the APS.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
We have bipartisan support for older employees to work beyond 65, and later pension eligibility. The Govt encourages private sector employers to hire older workers and provides significant financial incentives - though only older workers who have been unemployed for 6 months or more qualify.

So what about the Australian Public Service?

I did some research after applying for jobs with the APS.

I'm employed in a job I enjoy, with people I like - a State public service job that combines admin and a high level of responsibility with frequent manual work. Approaching 65, I'm finding the work strenuous.

And as a single parent with a daughter about to start Year 10, I need to keep working until I'm 68. The aged pension is not enough.

My research showed that approximately 3% of the labour force is aged 65 or more.

Yet within the APS overall, only 2% of employees are aged 65 or more.

And in the Dept of Human Services (my preferred employer), only 1% of employees are 65 or more.

After writing to the Minister for Human Services, I received a phone call from a senior staffer who advised that employment in the APS is determined solely on the basis of merit.

There are a couple of problems with this response. Firstly, special consideration is proffered to disabled and indigenous applicants - a case could be made that older workers are also deserving of special consideration.

Second, unacknowledged biases are almost certainly the cause of the low representation of older workers in the APS and particularly the Dept of Human Services - there's an assumption that older workers will not cope with internet-based systems, and supervisors are often uncomfortable managing older staff.

I don't advocate employment quotas for the APS. HR managers in DHS offices (eg: Centrelink) have a degree of local autonomy, and a departmental awareness campaign focussing on the benefits of having older workers would be helpful, without raising objections against "affirmative action".

And it's low-hanging fruit for the Govt - less pressure on pensions and a more diverse and more representative public service.
Posted by Matt CYP, Monday, 4 January 2016 12:08:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you look carefully you will see that front desk levels of all government employment are being reserved for part indigenous females and refugee job seekers which is making mockery of over 60 employment.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Wednesday, 6 January 2016 10:15:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chrisgaff1000,

Exactly, why should a refugee be given a job above someone over 65years,
Who paid taxes for the running of this country all their lives whereas the refugee
Paid nothing.

The government should be the biggest employer of older people,
If their policy is to have people working until they are 70years.

Private enterprise won't do it. Ever.
Posted by CHERFUL, Sunday, 10 January 2016 7:43:29 PM
Anyone with concerns needs to contact their local federal 'parliamentary representative' in the House of Reps and also in the Senate and tell them bluntly them if they don't sort out the issue competently they won't vote for them, your friends won't nor will you accept 'weak platitudes'. Actions may just bring some action in an election year . . . . we live in hope?
Posted by Citizens Initiated Action, Monday, 11 January 2016 6:35:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy