The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Putting things into perspective.

Putting things into perspective.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Thank you FOXY and like you, I believe this Topic has probably run it's course, from my own contributions at least.

Thank you too JOE (LOUDMOUTH) for your kindness and understanding, I most certainly appreciate it.

Curiously as a copper, you're required to attend many instances of suicide occurring from right across the population, and there is no particular demographic or social group which is wholly immune from it. So after awhile you tend to put in place some sort of emotional protective measures to at least shield you somewhat, from the awful anguish and pouring out of emotions, when you're required to ring a doorbell and inform the NOK of the suicide of a loved one.

When it happens to you personally well............!

Many many thanks Joe, for your very kind caring words, I really appreciate them more than I can ever say.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 26 December 2015 5:00:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
must say a very refreshing and heartbreaking lot of posts. Certainly many have gone through massive trials (especially o sung su). What a great country we live in. Trust 2016 will bring many blessings and healing for all.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 26 December 2015 5:53:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Made the trek north into enemy territory Queensland bush ha ha, to spend Xmas with my partners Aussie whanau, Maori family, had a 'traditional' Xmas dinner with a hangi, raw fish sea food smoked eel etc "T" cooked heaps of fry bread. People coming and going all day and night. A visit from A huge Samoan Santa with gifts for the kids, lots of kids. No PC got this IPad from JR today, back in Brisbane. It was a different Xmas but most enjoyable

Glad your back Foxy, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope all had a good Xmas and wishing everyone a happy new year.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 28 December 2015 6:11:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

So glad that you had an enjoyable Christmas.
Thank You for your Good Wishes. I'm glad to
be back. Wishing you and yours All The Best
In the New Year!
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 28 December 2015 6:54:03 AM
Dear Foxy,

I'm saddened to read of your accident and the long recovery period. These things can be very testing and frustrating. Please take good care of yourself. It seems to have given you the opportunity to reflect on how lucky we are in this country to which I can only heartily agree.

My extended family did something different this Christmas. Thanks to an initiative from my sister all gifts had to come either from an 'Op' shop or be personally made. The idea was to step away from the rampant consumerism which seems to infect the spirit of the occasion and to relieve some of the financial impact many feel at this time of year.

I will admit to having some misgivings but it worked a treat. My wife and I had a ball ducking into Op shops and rummaging for quirky gifts for different relatives. My personal favourite was a biscuit container in the shape of a policeman which, when you lifted his head to access the contents, would shout “Stop! Move away from the Cookie Jar!” complete with blinking eyes and moving jaw, which tells you a lot about my sense of humour. However the range and quality of gifts that emerged on the night was extraordinary. Having the 16 of us sitting around a big Christmas tree, knee deep in Christmas wrapping, delighting in the reaction each new gift elicited, being amazed at what people gave away to op shops, all made for a great night and one that we are determined to repeat next Christmas.

Cont...
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 29 December 2015 12:35:17 PM
Cont...

So I would highly recommend it. The time taken to find or make each gift turns out to be longer because more thought is required, but the process is a lot of fun and all that time and effort is really appreciated on the night. There is the added bonus of the money generally going to great causes like the Salvos.

So Foxy, when you asked “to hear from contributors to this forum about any particular incident that occurred in their lives that had an impact on them - and made them see things more clearly.” this would be my nomination. It is possible to move away from the frenetic spend-a-thon the retail sector would seemingly have as our Christmas 'duty' and to instead reboot the occasion where the simple joy of gift giving is not perverted by the consumerism.

Season's greetings to all here on OLO.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 29 December 2015 12:35:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy