The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > So what's all the fuss about with the libs changing leaders

So what's all the fuss about with the libs changing leaders

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
rehctub,

You just HAD to set them of again. LOL
Posted by onthebeach, Saturday, 19 September 2015 5:14:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
otb,

Yeah...it's one big Lol!, eh...

Noting all the Abbott fans around here are unusually quiet.

As one would be.

See ya anyway - I'm off elsewhere.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 19 September 2015 5:27:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well God forbid but I'm kind of with rehctub on this one, at least in this sense; we have through our democracy seen off leaders who have proven to have been either increasingly out of touch, unable to garner the full support of their party thus unable to continue running the country, or deemed hopelessly incompetent to run the same.

Rudd was the victim of the first, Gillard the first and second, and Abbott the third.

Now some might question the mechanism - non-electoral polling, but I submit it allowed the mood of the Australian people to push for changes and achieve changes in leadership.

Of course a proper election is the most desirable way of bringing about change but I shudder to thing what another year of Abbott would have wrought. Those on the other side may well think the same of Rudd or Gillard, that is politics.

The job of the party who wishes to hold the reins of power in our country is to present us with competent leadership. That is how our democracy works remember we do not directly elect our leaders. 30 bad to dire Newspolls express the sentiment of the nation and gave those within the party the tools to do their job.

Tony Windsor reflected on Q&A a few weeks ago just how many in his electorate had approached him and saying they thought he was wrong at the time to keep Abbott from the top job but they could see now he had made the right decision.

I am also thankful of a Senate that has kept the worst excesses of a far right Liberal leadership from doing the kind of damage to this nation they were gearing up to inflict.

Given certain caveats like the undue influence of the Murdoch press and money from big business on the whole the system is working folks and we should be grateful.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 19 September 2015 5:54:40 PM
Well until labor wake up to themselves and dump Shoreten Turnbl will enjoy a free ride to the next election. If only labor also possessed some depth, who knows we might even have a contest because at the moment I would suggest it Turnbul 1st and daylight second.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 19 September 2015 7:30:48 PM
Dont count your chickens flesher.

Turdbull has sold his soul to become PM. The reason people like him is because they think(wrongly) that he has some compassion and brains.
Unlike the previous idiotic coward.

They think he will act on climate change, the republic, same sex marriage, inequality, multinationals, fraudband etc etc.
I think they and you will be sorely disappointed.
Turnbull is in this for turnbull and no one else.
He will, even more than rabbott, do anything to keep his grasping claws on the levers of power.

All political assassinations are messy affairs and this one is no different.
Bishop has shown herself to be a liar(suprise suprise) and about as disloyal as you can get.
She is also, in the great tradition of gutless lieberal deputies, a coward. Why didnt she stand for leader?
Happyclapper morrison is under fire for his undermining and lack of support for his supposed "mate" rabbott.
Bernadi is going to quit.
The nationals have made it clear they will destroy the coalition if turnbull doesnt give them what they want.
All this with rabbott and eleventy sitting on the back benches saying "oh we would never leak or snipe at malcy". And we all know what that means coming from a liar like rabbott and a snout of a man like hokey.

I expect this will go down exactly the same as Rudd/Gillard and in a years time the lieberals polling, and turnbulls will be back where they have been since it became clear these lieing liars from the liars party only want to hurt us and our country.
Posted by mikk, Sunday, 20 September 2015 9:42:08 AM
rehctub and SteeleRedux,

While I glean your points, in that it's really "ho-hum" and the Coalition merely removed an under performing leader...and there's nothing to see here - I think it's more than that.

Abbott held the prime position for two years - two years of constant debacles.

It's much more than shifting a flawed leader sideways. We need to examine how a man of Abbott's calibre came to inhabit the office of Prime Minister at all.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/tony-abbott-goes-topless-at-wild-farewell-party-after-being-ousted-by-new-pm-malcolm-turnbull/story-fni0cx12-1227535045623

"A TOPLESS Tony Abbott celebrated his freedom on the night of the leadership coup by dancing with his shirt off at a wild party in the Prime Minister’s suite.

Party goers have confirmed that the former Prime Minister partied on until the small hours of Tuesday morning and was still firing off text messages at 4:30am"

"The wild party in the Prime Minister’s suite included a marble coffee table getting smashed and staffers souveniring shards of marble for the history books."

Mr Abbott had declined to hold a press conference on the night he was rolled by Malcolm Turnbull, instead heading straight to the bar with his loyal staffers.

Treasurer Joe Hockey also hit the dance floor with assistant minister Jamie Briggs, who later surfaced in a wheelchair the next morning."

"However, it was an explanation that was widely derided by Liberal MPs and partygoers who insisted Mr Briggs was also “gyrating’’ earlier and fell over.

Several senior Liberal MPs also claimed a minister The Sunday Telegraph has chosen not to name had “spewed” in the ministerial wing."

I'll admit that I actually felt a tinge of sympathy for Abbott's position in the wake of his demise - before I read this story. One imagined him crushed and seeking quiet counsel from those closest to him, etc.

He "faxed" his resignation to the Governor General.

He refused to concede publicly on the night, and still hasn't congratulated Turnbull.

Now we know he was partying wildly while his close colleagues were trashing coffee tables.

That's the "calibre" of Abbott and his administration and their treatment of the office of Prime Minister.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 20 September 2015 10:49:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy