The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Natives and Aboriginal Natives

Australian Natives and Aboriginal Natives

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Dear Joe (Loudmouth),

When I retire I plan to work on discovering more
about my family background.
I'll have the time to do it. I would love to learn
more about my Lithuanian ancestry - and also
more about my Russian grandmother and her background,
(from whom I suspect I've inherited my cheek-bones,
almond-shaped eyes, and stubbornness).
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 20 September 2015 11:58:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

Yes, imagine what might be in your genome ! Invasions by the Teutonic Brotherhood, the Poles, the Tartars, the Russians, the Russians and the Russians, and maybe even the Finns. It depends how far back you can go ? It would be fascinating !

I sent off to Genographics for my Y Chromosome and got back 'Haplogroup A', African. My sister says, yeah, everybody's got that, we all came out of Africa, after all, it's all a con; but who knows ? How that might be, baffles me. I thought it was all Scottish and northern English but that's thrown a cat amongst the budgies.

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 20 September 2015 3:14:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe an Aboriginal who has a child in UK and later returns to Oz could hear the child being called a pommy. A final insult?
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 20 September 2015 9:43:08 PM
English people : the African-Saxons?
African Diaspora in Roman Britain - Decoded Past
decodedpast.com/evidence-african-diaspora-roman-britain/6254

Feb 25, 2014 - Ongoing archaeological finds continue to show evidence of Africans as a presence in Britain as early as the 3rd century and well beyond ...
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 20 September 2015 9:48:41 PM
It was usual for people of my parents' generation to refer to themselves with pride as native Australians. Many Australians are native English speakers, to give another example.

That is correct English usage of 'native' in that circumstance, as an adjective. There are native Sydneyites, native New South Welshmen and native Australians.

One could ask if AFL is a native Australian sport. The reply could be possibly not. Because strictly speaking (foot)ball games pre-dating the Code were played in the UK.

It is an inclusive description that could be used more. No harm in capitalising either, Native Australians.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 21 September 2015 10:40:53 AM
Dear Joe (Loudmouth),

I have noticed that many of our sheep have
blue eyes.

Hmmmmm. Interesting.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 21 September 2015 1:31:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy