The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Interesting and favourite TV Series we've seen ?

Interesting and favourite TV Series we've seen ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
In an attempt to brighten our moods, while we all try to keep warm in mid winter, many of us seek relief in front of our beloved TV's ? Therefore hence this Topic.

We've just finished watching the first season of 'Fortitude', a collaboration between, British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. and a Norwegian organisation. It's set somewhere in the high Artic region on this mythical Island, with a population of 800 odd souls, with just 4 police officers to keep order ? It's been described as a 'thriller' with some supernatural overtones ?

I must be honest I thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly the beautiful vistas that we're all being continually treated throughout the series. The whole production (except for a few internal scenes) was filmed entirely in Iceland. The opening music with each episode could only be described as 'haunting', which added to the overtones of menace and ominousness ? The cast were an eclectic mix from the UK, US and Scandinavia. One of my favourites, Michael GAMBON plays a great part as he does with everything else he undertakes.

Finally, it's not for the kiddies I'm afraid, as it was awarded the highest censorship classification for TV that of; 'R'18 plus Restricted. Described as; 'High Impact violence & sexualised violence' ? There's a bit therein but I've seen worse, regrettably in real life ?

In conclusion, not a bad series in my humble opinion. I'm a bit of a 'yippie' fan too. A devotee of the 'Deadwood' series, and 'Hell on Wheels'. The only real problem with the former, was the in inordinate amount of 'swearing' contained therein, otherwise truly entertaining for this old bloke and his missus ! Though 'she who must be obeyed' is currently enamoured by the events at 'Downton Abbey', I quite like it too as a matter of fact.

Anyway I'd really like to hear of your favourites too ? Whether it's a sporting series, drama, period, comedy, etc. If you'd care to share them with us, would be really great !
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 6 July 2015 11:04:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi o sung wu,

I have been enjoying 'Banashed' on BBC First, Foxtel. A dramatisation of the life of convicts and soldiers including Governor Phillip etc in the early British colony of NSW.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 7 July 2015 9:34:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My taste in TV is quite varied.

I enjoy watching News and Current Affairs programs.
Programs such as - Four Corners, Media Watch,
Q&A, The Insiders, The Drum, and when I'm home -
Question Time in Parliament,
(in small doses).

I love British crime
series such as - New Tricks, Pie In The Sky, Inspector Morse,
A Touch of Frost, Midsomer Murders, and I've recently
discovered - Inspector George Gently. And of course
Agatha Christie's Poirot, as well as Miss Marple.

I also enjoy comedy such as - The Vicar of Dibley and I
used to enjoy the old American golden oldie -
Frasier.

I enjoy - Grand Designs, Escape To The Country,
Sex and The City, And I've begun watching - The Voice.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 7 July 2015 10:39:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cont'd ...

I'm also a fan of Australian drama series -
such as - The House of Hancock, and
The Secret River.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 7 July 2015 10:56:20 AM
Hi FOXY and PAUL1405...

It would seem we're almost kindred spirits in our choice of TV programmes ! I too enjoy 'Banished' the trials and exploits of Governor Philip's administration in early Sydney. By golly life's cheap in those days, you could be hanged for even minor infringements, and the convict women could be 'used' to ease the sexual proclivities of the marines in charge ? Even the Anglican Minister wielded immense power amongst the convicts in the settlement, to a point that it would probably put you off church for life I reckon ?

I share your fondness for many of the British programmes too FOXY. Particularly their comedies, Fawlty Towers a series I can watch over and over again. Morse, Pie in the Sky, and Judge John DEED are amongst many of my favourites. POIROT is absolutely brilliant, together with his somewhat naïve aide, Captain HASTINGS as his sidekick of sorts.

To be very honest with you both, I've not watched a News presentation, or any sort of Current Affairs programmes, for years. I find it all far too depressing and biased for my liking, therefore I give it all the big 'heave ho' mainly for my own mental health ?

Thank you both for your contribution, I really appreciate it.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 7 July 2015 3:12:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well there was "Have Gun will travel" back in the 50s, & Maverick in the 60s, which I thought quite good. I'm afraid it's been all down hill since then.

Mid 60s I moved onto my yacht, & did not own a TV again until mid/late 80s. I must say I did not miss it.

I must be strange. I can't stand soaps, & John Cleese, & similar people turn my stomach. Most of these things are written to a formula, & once understood are too predictable to bother watching.

It took a while for the original CSI to become boring, but too many offshoots ruined it.

I used to love Catalyst, until it went from science to greenie propaganda, & all those great BBC/ABC documentaries were similarly ruined with massive doses of left propaganda.

Even the news today has lost it. ABC & SBS are full of left/anti Oz propaganda, & the commercials are full of bleeding heart garbage. Hell the only discovered Greece was a disaster zone about 5 minutes before disaster.

It appears the news is becoming like those dreadful woman's garbage on morning talk shows. I never could stand dinner parties, & those shows appear to be modelled on dinner parties from hell. Daily, or perhaps nightly, the news is following that formula.

So sorry o sung wu, apart from the odd documentary, RPA which I find fascinating, & 24 hours in emergency, also good, I don't bother with much TV.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 7 July 2015 5:20:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy