The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Human rights vs party politics

Human rights vs party politics

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Okay, I'm convinced.

How do we proceed in nominating Gillian Triggs for Sainthood?
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Saturday, 20 June 2015 9:40:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear ConservativeHippie,

Gillian Triggs doesn't seek or need sainthood.
She was appointed as the Human Rights Commissioner,
an independent statutory officer - independent
from the control of any government and all she
should be given is the respect that her position
deserves, and which she has more than earned by
doing her job according to the tule of law.

Dear Suse,

You are a compassionate, caring, and good person.
Thank You for you kind words.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 20 June 2015 10:40:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Certainly Gillian Triggs has done more for human rights than an supposed saint ever did Conservative Hippie.

Foxy, you are very welcome :)
The voices of reason are very few on this forum, and tend to suffer bullying from unreasonable contributors. I am pleased they keep on keeping on!
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 20 June 2015 10:50:02 AM
Suse,

I see that you and Foxy have a mutual admiration thing going. Two sisters against all the bad guys, eh?

I agree with you about Nathan's story. It is dreadful, and totally unbelievable.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 20 June 2015 10:54:50 AM
Oh what's wrong ttbn?
Are you worried you have no one on the forum who admires you?
Never mind, I am sure Runner and Onthebeach like your views....
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 20 June 2015 1:44:47 PM
It ought be remembered that when talking about "Human Rights" there are the declarations and associated instruments at an international level, and then there is (in the case of the signatories) the implementation of same into local domestic law.

Unfortunately in the case of ugly Australia, we have only a very poor subset implemented into domestic law, so bad in fact, that in some cases the local law bears little resemblance to what guvment representatives signed up to voluntarily in the first place.

Oh, did anyone see the recent gaff by that moron Dutton who said in relation to the proposed changes to Citizenship laws:

" ... We can't have the courts second guessing the decision of the Ministers. ... "

It makes a strong case for would be politicians to have minimum knowledge about how the legal/guvment system works does it not?
Posted by DreamOn, Wednesday, 24 June 2015 5:58:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy