The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is the political status of Australian Aborigines?

What is the political status of Australian Aborigines?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Hello, I am currently doing a research project about Australia aborigines.

I would like to know about how aborigines are now allowed to participate in political activities in Australia after the 1967 Referendum. I would like to ask about how their political status has taken a better turn compared to their statuses before the referendum.

Thank you.
Posted by autumn_wind, Saturday, 9 June 2007 8:57:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
autumn_wind,

In a short answer to your question the Aborigines are like political football. The left of politics often puts on claytons compassion in order to kick the Government. Some on the left and right are out and out racist. Speak to the people in the communities and those who work with real aborigines to get the real truth.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 9 June 2007 11:55:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner,

Thank you for the information provided. However, I would also like to further inquire about the progression of aborigines in the field of politics. Is there a vivid evidence that they are now allowed to participate in the parliament? I would also like to inquire about a direct way to contact with the aborigines or people in the community who can give views on this matter.

Thank you once again.
Posted by autumn_wind, Saturday, 9 June 2007 2:30:13 PM
Unfortunately for our Aboriginal Australians they have not generally reached a level of literacy where they can really participate in the electoral process in any significant way.
That and the fact that there are not enough of them in any electorates to make any difference.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 9 June 2007 2:40:01 PM
AW, since 1967 the Kooris(preferred term) have the same suffrage rights as the rest of us ie at 18yo they get to vote, male and female alike. Voting is compulsory in Australia, or at least attending the polling booth and having your name marked off on the electoral role is.
There have been a few kooris elected to various parliaments in Oz,at both federal and state levels. These have been as representatives of major parties and not as aboriginals.
Posted by palimpsest, Saturday, 9 June 2007 5:09:08 PM
Firstly, I think you need to be clear re your terms.
The term Aboriginal as used in the 1967 referendum was far narrower than the term Aboriginal as applied today.

No disrespect intended -but the term aboriginal now has ( by plan, or default) become something of a ‘catch-all’ term.

Many who now identify themselves as Aboriginals were not excluded prior to 1967

Such an approach wont make you popular or rich in this century - but there are sound prospects it will make you one of few researches cited by future generation-when current fads have run their course
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 10 June 2007 9:23:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy