The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Prince Harry - calling for the return of national service?

Prince Harry - calling for the return of national service?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
I think it’s good that members of the Royal Family are able to express their views, and in this case Harry appears to be suggesting that individuals are helped a great deal by experiencing the discipline of Defence Force life. I agree with ConservativeHippy that too many kids grow up without any sort of role model or ethical guidance and a spell in the Forces would be good for their character and future in society. My own experience doing 2 years National Service certainly emphasised this fact and I saw several would-be delinquents have their lives turned around. They learned a trade and were able to leave the army with far greater prospects and self confidence for employment than before they were conscripted,

Harry cannot be criticised for being born into Royalty and he performs the job he has been given in the only way he feels possible. He joined the Military and served as far as he was able under his circumstances, and I think he has done it well. Don’t criticise him. If you must criticise, criticise the system under which he must live. I wouldn't want to be under a constant spotlight as he is.
Posted by snake, Tuesday, 19 May 2015 12:31:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We can only pray that the Prince will grow up and wisen, realising that it's not right to inflict such pain and horror on innocent conscripts.

When I took up Australian citizenship I gave an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty, Her heirs and successors, thus I can never vote for a republic.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 19 May 2015 1:51:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can any of you nay-sayers show me the quote that Prince Harry was promoting conscripted service? Ideally that might be the best way in order to insure the lazy ones still go through boot camp, but the idea of serving a bit of time in the national guard or similar doesn't necessarily have to be against their will.

Harry floated an idea. Rather than totally bag it, why not pick out the potential positives and find something that works in this day and age.

Yuyutsu, why do you describe providing disciplined training that potentially leads to employment and a self respecting life, as "inflicting such pain and horror on innocent conscripts."

Yuyutsu, as you are well and truly already grown up, there's still time for you to wise up. Think before you leap.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Tuesday, 19 May 2015 2:27:46 PM
Dear Hippie,

<<Yuyutsu, why do you describe providing disciplined training that potentially leads to employment and a self respecting life, as "inflicting such pain and horror on innocent conscripts.">>

Because I was a conscript myself and that trauma is always with me, also why I escaped to Australia.

As for employment, I wasn't looking for any - I was forcibly snatched out of university.
As for a self respecting life, you have no idea of the humiliation and bullying I underwent in the army. Fortunately while I was made to shoot and make holes in cardboard figures, I refused to make holes in any real person, even at the cost of my own life, otherwise I would really have become permanently incapable of any self-respect.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 19 May 2015 4:08:26 PM
Toughen up Yuyutsu, and get over it. That was a long time ago.

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean there isn't any merit in the suggestion.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Tuesday, 19 May 2015 4:30:27 PM
Harry did two periods in Afghanistan, no first class wining & dining there.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 19 May 2015 5:07:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy