The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Silly solutions to Australia's social problems

Silly solutions to Australia's social problems

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
"Is it the responsibility of charities to come up with solutions to social problems. Other than dealing with the day to day problems confronting those they serve, what can they do?

They can do a lot more - and they need to move out of their current form of operations and many are also not religious based.

For example, re the "wet zone" this issue was brought up on ABC radio, by the city Councillor you mention. This is not commercial press. She highlighted the (good) point, that by getting rid of dry zones (which the charity in question supported in a joint discussion on the ABC program), when summer sets in, people simply return to these areas (as the weather is nice to drink alcohol in - and in places overseas, these policies have been thrown out.

Re remote communities (on ABC's Four Corners), the only suggestion from Amnesty International was to not shut these communities down. Suggestions from other's (in general) have been to live off the mining sector, despite it not being environmentally or financially sustainable.

I agree with ConservativeHippie (on property). My Grandma used to own a rental home (before she died). She was found to be charging too much rent and had to spend over $20,000 to improve her property. The person renting, complained (re rent prices) to a formal goverment authority.

I would also say to people from Struggle Street - stop complaining, blaming SBS and prove to others you can improve your area - NOW.
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 14 May 2015 12:58:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy