The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What does capital punishment actually achieve?

What does capital punishment actually achieve?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 34
  10. 35
  11. 36
  12. All
Those that are angry at the Indonesians for using the death penalty should ask themselves if they ever have condemned Indonesia for the genocide that is going on in West Papua.
http://www.culturalsurvival.org/ourpublications/csq/article/west-papua-forgotten-war-unwanted-people

They need to ask themselves if they are angry at Australia for, first, agreeing to the takeover of West Papua and secondly for continuing to support Indonesia's presence in a country to which it has no right.

They need to ask themselves if they support the continuing training of Indonesian troops by the Australian Army.

They need to ask themselves why? if they continue to buy Indonesian products at the supermarket etc.

If I see 'Made in' or 'Product of' Indonesia on anything I won't buy it; even if it's second hand work clothes or well washed denim jeans from the local Op-Shop from which to cut patches for my muzzle-loading rifles.

If it has come from Indonesia I won't use it.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 30 April 2015 8:55:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think onthebeach, hasbeen and Is Mise have it right. That means I agree with them.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 30 April 2015 9:07:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The two have been labelled rehabilitated. If a criminal is rehabilitated that means to me that he can be outside of prison without committing crime. That does not mean a prisoner behaves well in prison.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 30 April 2015 9:11:12 AM
Foxy: they were reformed young men who touched the lives of many people.

"They touched the lives of many" Yes they did.

I wonder just how many of those lives are not with us today. I wonder just how many are still being touched with mental illness & addiction by the drugs they imported over many years. I wonder just how many families are without their loved ones physical or their mental presence.

As Rodriguez said, "I wonder. I wonder. I wonder. How about you?"

I sorry Foxy, we'll just have to disagree on this one. I have no sympathy what-so-ever. As far as I am concerned the other seven should have been lined with them. What does concern me is that the process took so long. The sentence should have been carried out within months.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 30 April 2015 10:28:16 AM
At long last the world is now without a couple of parasites!

Pity the sentence was not carried out the same day as it was imposed.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 30 April 2015 10:39:21 AM
Thank You for all your comments.

My point in starting this discussion was to try
and focus on the usefulness and morality of
the death sentence - and of course I did realise
that in the case of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumuran
it was going to be controversial.

A principal argument for the death-penalty in this
case seems to be - is that
it will deter the crime. However,
in Indonesia where the evidence points the
reverse to be true. That is, despite all the
executions to date - drug trafficking and drug abuse
continues and grows due to the corruption and involvement
of Indonesia's police force, military, judiciary,
and the fact that 45% of SE Asia's narcotics market is in
Indonesia.

Therefore the question of
whether the retribution of capital punishment
is justified in this case appears to be -
a moral judgement for each individual to make.
It appears that some feel that those
who deal in drugs should pay
the supreme penalty and forfeit their own lives,
while others seem to feel that human life is sacred and
society is demeaned when the state kills its
citizens, however grave their offense.

In any event, I can see that quite a few posters on this
Forum do favour the death penalty.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 30 April 2015 11:50:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 34
  10. 35
  11. 36
  12. All