The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > No attention to detail

No attention to detail

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Here is an article written by
Amy McQuire- which in my opinion is
a well-written and balanced one and gives
rational people food for thought.

It's always a good idea to look at the various
aspects of an issue from different sources
because nothing is ever as simplistic
(except for the simple-minded) in complex
situations or - just black and white.
There usually are shades of grey in between.

Amy writes that "if" Gordon is guilty of domestic
violence (and it's a big "if" because his ex-partner
who filed the charges - was advised by the Liberal
candidate running opposite Gordon in his area). Howver,
"if" Gordon is guilty then clearly he must resign.
If not - there is no reason to remove one of the few
Aboriginal men in Parliament.

Two breaking and entering charges that he committed as a
teenager, charges for which he was under no legal
obligation to disclose amounts to very little, according
to Amy.

It's better to get all of the facts before making
judgements. For those interested in getting the
full background - the following website will help:

http://newmatilda.com/2015/04/02/hunt-billy-gordon
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 3 April 2015 12:54:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

I was unaware that you were prepared to turn a blind eye to wife beating. Now that a second partner of BG has come forward, news that he was investigated for misappropriating funds, failed to file tax returns or pay child support as well as 2 x breaking and entering convictions, we don't just have a single misstep but a re occurring pattern of poor behaviour. While I would like more aboriginal representation BG's character is so flawed that he is not fit to be an MP.

I look forward to BG as a constant reminder of criminality in the labor party.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 3 April 2015 1:47:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Shadow Minister,

Why would you assume that I would be "prepared
to turn a blind eye to wife-beating," when I
clearly cited Amy McQuire who write that
"If" Gordon is guilty of domestic violence he
clearly must resign."

Perhaps, you don't like the fact that the accusations
of Gordon's "domestic violence," charges were brought
about under the advice of his Liberal Party opponent?
Sound familiar (Slipper case)?

Ah well, the things they do for political gain.

As far as Mr Gordon is concerned - he has not been
convicted of the offence and the allegations of domestic
violence have been referred to police by the Premier.
And rightly so.

We should let the judicial process take its course before
making judgements. And allow Mr Gordon the decency of -
"Presumption of innocence."

I'm sure you agree! ;-)
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 3 April 2015 2:05:42 PM
cont'd ...

Dear Shadow Minster,

As for your looking forward to Billy Gordon
being a reminder of the "criminality of the
Labor Party?"

Then perhaps this may also help to jog your
member:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/29/crash-through-campbell-newman-may-have-said-sorry-for-the-last-time

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/former-lnp-mp-scott-driscoll-charged-with-fraud-soliciting-commissions/story-fnihsrf2-1227082794404
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 3 April 2015 2:24:12 PM
Foxy, you are desperately trying to pretend that it was only the one incident, however, his long criminal record precedes him.

Breaking and entering 1987
Breaking and entering 1990 (as an adult)
Parole violation conviction 1992 (as an adult)
Public nuisance conviction 1996 (as an adult)
Driving without a license conviction 2004 (as an adult)
Driving without a license conviction 2008 (as an adult)
Investigation for embezzlement
Failure to pay child support (admitted)
Domestic abuse partner 1 accused
Domestic abuse partner 2 accused.

etc etc etc.

Foxy, wake up and smell the roses.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 3 April 2015 3:00:07 PM
I think the article posted by our resident defender of the down-trodden is a far cry from balanced; the author, "A Darumbul woman from central Queensland, Amy McQuire is the former editor of the National Indigenous Times and Tracker" clearly had an agenda of defending Gordon simply because he is Aboriginal.

From the article we read: "In Australia, Aboriginal kids are not told they will grow up to be Prime Minister, or a Senator or Member of Parliament."

"The fact he was elected to a seat with a sizable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population - one of the only seats where the views of our people can have any real impact in the political process outside of the Northern Territory – made it even more significant."

"As Aboriginal voters, we are used to casting a ballot for people who have no understanding of our life experience, or for people whose policies are directly in competition with our interests."

"But when Aboriginal people are elected to public office, they are held to a higher standard of accountability."

To her credit - "If the allegations are proven, it is obvious that Billy Gordon should resign. No man charged with domestic violence should be a member of Parliament, especially when family violence is crippling Aboriginal communities today, and the cries of Aboriginal women and children are largely flying under the radar, even in a time when domestic violence is finally making the front pages of newspapers. I don’t think anyone is denying this."

Followed by - "But to judge Billy Gordon for the break and enter charges is unfair given the history of disadvantage he inherited, and spent a lifetime overcoming.

I thought there was something expected from our MP candidates "being of good character" that seems to be missing from those making excuses for Billy Gordon's criminal record. That wouldn't be because he's Aboriginal, would it?
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Friday, 3 April 2015 4:39:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy