The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Professor Gillian Triggs - President of the HR Commission resign?

Should Professor Gillian Triggs - President of the HR Commission resign?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All
The real question is why does the Human Rights Commission continue to exist at all?

Staffing 142, up by 19 since the time of the Budget!

There needs to be a sunset clause built into bodies like this that go on forever and doubtless put a lot of those taxpayers' dollars into ensuring they continue to exist.

Vulnerable groups like the aged are continually being asked to tighten their belts, but elitist agencies like this one are growing annually!
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 25 February 2015 1:06:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree it is an absolute disgrace re the way this Government, and a PM with ongoing foot-in-mouth disease, is treating Gillian Triggs and the Human Rights Commission.

They don't like what they hear about children in detention being abused, because that would go against their stance on detaining all 'illegal' asylum seekers for long periods of time.

Whatever anyone feels about asylum seekers, surely no one blames the children for the actions of their parents?
Theses kids ARE being abused by this Government.....no doubt about it.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 25 February 2015 1:11:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
children of asylum seekers?
seriously?

these are people who are part of the international refugee racket
i sympathize with them and know why they want a better life
but please go thru the right channels
not when you come on boats while the others patiently fill up forms and wait to be called up

funny thing is we australians do not really want too many indians .. chinese...middle easterns... and years back, we dont like the italian mafias as well, BUT at the same time we cry foul about children of the boat people

how hypocritical

for those who cry foul on how these children are caught in between, let me paint you a scenario

me and my family camp outside your palatial villa (assuming you are rich...your children are well fed and well clothed and mine are scrawny)
it is illegal to camp ourside your house but i would like to share your wonderful villa..just a small room and also some of your leftovers for my hungry kids
you call the police to evict me but i refused to budge
then the HR Commission writes a report on how my poor children are hungry and subjected to the glare of the media... and how their childhood is lost in the process

this country does have people with pretty warped ideas
Posted by platypus1900, Wednesday, 25 February 2015 1:25:49 AM
suseonline, "Theses kids ARE being abused by this Government.....no doubt about it"

Then the previous Labor+Greens government must have been ten times worse, with 2,000 children in detention and growing, because Rudd trashed the working 'Pacific Solution' implemented by Howard.

Compared with the previous government the Abbott government has excelled at reducing the number.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 25 February 2015 1:28:06 AM
Should Professor Gillian Triggs - President of the HR Commission resign?

ABSOLUTELY!

If Gillian Triggs was not politically motivated/corrupt she would have released her report when Labor was in Government and 2000 children were in detention.

Yet the old faithful - Foxy, Poirot and Suse see nothing hypocritical or suspicious in her timing.

This is one case when shooting the messenger is totally justifiable. But she won't resign because the longer she stays the longer the ABC can use the story to undermine the Government.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Wednesday, 25 February 2015 7:19:56 AM
The previous report was done in 2004, it was them scheduled for the next report to be 2014, so the report was on time but the finding was that nothing had changed.

It will take a royal commission to get to the bottom of this disgrace.
Triggs is just the messenger, but the Abbott worshipers can find fault of political means. Even though it covers both sides of politics.

Abbott has a vested interest, in no asylum seeker will be allowed into AU, apparently this includes kids, and the report stated the situation be fixed in one month from the tabling in parliament of the document.

Abbott left the tabling till the last day, and close to midnight to table the report. Abbott is running scared of his political ars-e being set on fire
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 25 February 2015 8:03:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy