The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Queensland Floods

Queensland Floods

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I am absolutely amazed at the fall-out from the latest floods in Queensland.

What is wrong with people that they don`t take steps to protect themeselves from these regularly occurring disasters?

We saw the long lines of people queuing at the only Service Station that was operational, probably because it was the only one with a generator, ( and fuel tanks nor drowned ).

Any resident can purchase a 8/9kw Generator that runs on ULP for a modest $1500. The cost of getting an Electrician to wire-in a power board adapter to suit a generator costs around $100, making a total of $1600 to have a reliable standby Generator ready to go in an emergency.

It also appears that most people live from day to day and thus have very little in their cupboards in the way of food to handle an emergency, hence the Supermarket panic syndrome!

I have learnt that commonsense tells one to be prepared for disasters at any time of the year, be it Power Outages, Cyclones or Floods.
I keep my cupboards well stocked with foods. I always have on hand at least 200 litres of ULP, to power Generator or to keep vehicles running.

If an emergency like the current one in Queensland occurs, it only takes the loss of one freezer and refrigerator full of frozen foods to cover the cost of a Generator, so it is a matter of logistics in purchasing one to be prepared for any emergency.
Posted by Crackcup, Monday, 23 February 2015 9:21:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Crackup,

Probably you are in the country and have a free-standing fuel storage tank that meets the Australian Standards. You would be a larger fuel user than the ordinary person to need the approved tank/s and access/availability problems to makes it worthwhile. Thinking of fuel going stale, filtering rust water (esp alcohol added fuel) etc.

I wouldn't like to see the public encouraged to hoard fuel, or store it outside of their vehicle's fuel tank. They are bad enough where handling small, but still very dangerous quantities of petrol are concerned, for the mower perhaps. I worry how some amateur boaties dispose of their stale fuel. For those who are not aware, fuel down a drain is very dangerous, for years.

Generators
There is a special place in Hell for that neighbour not far from me who started that el cheapo Bunnings generator during the recent black-out (possums or people growing large trees where they shouldn't are the usual culprits). The cheap ones are unreliable, likely to bow electronics ('dirty' power) and are loud - made worse where the inconsiderate sod operates one with a wall behind that magnifies sound.

Petrol appliances that are not used regularly are subject to petrol glazing in the carby and stale fuel.

Again for safety reasons I would not like the public to be buying up home generators, especially from the hardware shop. Every time the subject is mentioned and more than one electrician is present there is a no-holds-barred argument and NO resolution of the required earthing, safety switch operation and safe operation. Don't anyone here presume to advise either.

Crackup, you may know what you are doing. For most I would suggest that keeping the fridge relatively lean is prudent home economics, less waste. More refrigeration (we have heaps so I know) is costly to run and often the savings are illusory (waste, extra power use). More dried foods, eg brown rice, dried chick peas, beans and so on are stand-bys that can improve health if used and supplies replenished (to avoid the inevitable moths).

I agree that panic buying causes shortages.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 24 February 2015 9:25:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My 'bow electronics' should be 'blow electronics'. Computers and so on may be trashed by cheap generators.

If anyone really must get a small genny, buy a Honda EU1, or preferably EU2. It will always start (if run occasionally with fresh fuel), is quiet, produces clean power and enough for a fridge and a couple of low wattage lights. With matched batteries back-up and an inverter life is easier.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 24 February 2015 9:39:51 AM
Onthebeach you are short selling a lot of people, who can happily run small petrol engined equipment occasionally, & keep them healthy. You only have to turn the fuel off, & run the carby dry, & you will have no problems. I also drain the fuel tank with expected long disuse.I used a Honda powered fire pump, which had not run in 4 years recently. It started first pull after adding fuel. Yes I was amazed too.

Crackcup we lost power & were flooded in for 5 days in the last flood. My 600W camping generator was pretty useless, & I guess I deserved it when I found my 2.5 KVA petrol unit could not start the fridge/freezer. Should have checked it could do the job when I bought it.

I have since bought a 10 KVA diesel 3 phase or single phase unit new for just under $1000. I also bought a single compressor fridge freezer, which the 2.5KVA can start.

Now fully prepared, I expect I have ensured this community will not be flooded again. However with the greenies fighting like hell to stop Energex clearing the transmission lines well enough to ensure power reliability, I have already used it for a couple of extended blackouts.

Unlike city folk, no power means no pump, & no running water. It is nice to be back in control, I & recommend it to anyone.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 24 February 2015 10:07:54 AM
Hasbeen,

You are right, I am selling most people short if you want to put it that way.

I go camping and I volunteer. The outdoors, practical Aussie is a myth. I often wonder how many people survive where the State isn't looking out for them. Very few people have been allowed to take those limited, calculated risks when they were young and have been highly protected.

It is only astute design and lack of availability of some things that protect people who are unused to thinking for themselves. Baby-sat by the TV since birth and wrapped in cotton wool for their parents' benefit - it is easier for her/them.

On a brighter note, some smaller, useful, diesel generators are becoming available at reasonable prices.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 24 February 2015 12:29:22 PM
I guess you may be right onthebeach. Thinking about it, I guess most of the people I mix with are the more competent type, even the city slickers. Most of them have boats with outboards, off road vehicles or bikes, mowers camping generators, so I'm probably not seeing the rich bureaucrat type, who can pay someone else to do everything for them.

Hell even my 22 year old daughter could gas up & fire up a long out of use mower when she wanted to borrow, [pinch actually] it.

I have perhaps forgotten the neighbour who needs help to get his expensive ride on mower going on a regular basis, or the cousin who could not figure out how to dip the oil in his new car.

The cousin can be forgiven perhaps, as the only people who can check the oil in his new Audi are those with the right computer program, as they no longer have a dip stick.

His big mistake was in buying a stupid European car in the first place. Your right, many people are fools, & yes he's a bureaucrat.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 24 February 2015 1:12:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy