The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Legal Marijuana Is The Fastest-Growing Industry In The U.S

Legal Marijuana Is The Fastest-Growing Industry In The U.S

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Legal marijuana is the fastest-growing industry in the United States and if the trend toward legalization spreads to all 50 states, marijuana could become larger than the organic food industry, according to a new report obtained by The Huffington Post.

Researchers from The ArcView Group, a cannabis industry investment and research firm based in Oakland, California, found that the U.S. market for legal cannabis grew 74 percent in 2014 to $2.7 billion, up from $1.5 billion in 2013.

The group surveyed hundreds of medical and recreational marijuana retailers in states where sales are legal, as well as ancillary business operators and independent cultivators of the plant, over the course of seven months during 2013 and 2014. ArcView also compiled data from state agencies, nonprofit organizations and private companies in the marijuana industry for a more complete look at the marketplace.

"In the last year, the rise of the cannabis industry went from an interesting cocktail conversation to being taken seriously as the fastest growing industry in America," Troy Dayton, CEO of The ArcView Group and publisher of the third edition of the State of Legal Marijuana Markets, said in the executive summary of the report. "At this point, it’s hard to imagine that any serious businessperson who is paying attention hasn’t spent some time thinking about the possibilities in this market."
Source: http://ereporter.com.ng/index.php/more-news/odd-news-reports/item/2823-legal-marijuana-is-the-fastest-growing-industry-in-the-u-s-report
Posted by John007, Thursday, 29 January 2015 8:26:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear John,

If there's money to be made - of course the Americans
are going to go for it. And here we're talking about
mega bucks worth in the billions.

As far as Australia is concerned - it will be interesting
to see if Australia decides to follow the American trends.
As they have to date in many instances.

There already is a case being made for medical marijuana
in this country. That people with life-threatening conditions
should be able to access medicinal marijuana without
breaking the law.

Cannabis oil has been said to relieve the conditions of
some cancers, MS, HIV/Aids/ glaucoma, and Parkinson's
Disease.

Parents and family members have asked that they should not
be forced to choose between breaking the law and watching
a family member suffer.

Daniel Andrews, the new Premier of Victoria had promised
that he would ensure that medical marijuana would be made
legal in Victoria. It will be interesting to see if he
follows through with his promise and if this will open
the door towards lobby groups trying once again to
legalise marijuana for recreational purposes. If the US
is anything to go by - it's only a matter of time before
Australia follows suit.

And who knows - this may be the perfect answer to the
Government's "budget" and "monetary" problems. ;-)

"Smoke your debts away!"
Yay!
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 January 2015 7:12:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy wrote: "Parents and family members have asked that they should not
be forced to choose between breaking the law and watching
a family member suffer".

Foxy, a friend -- bordering an associate -- of mine has a criminal record thanks to being caught smoking the stuff. Recently an elderly relative of his was diagnosed with cancer, so he felt obliged offering the advice to said relative on the "healing powers" of marijuana.

Is it wrong that I note this individual has many pothead friends? The polarity between being a vegetative recreational user and an advocate of medical marijuana becomes blurred due to the middle men who want a foot in both camps; or perhaps who aren't even conscious of having a foot in both camps.
Posted by Gaudium, Sunday, 1 February 2015 10:43:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Gaudium,

There will always be people who will abuse the
system. However, we have to decide what's best
for the society in which we live. Medical cannabis
has I believe been proven to help and provide
relief in certain cases and many countries have
changed their laws to allow this to happen. I'm not
sure about recreational cannabis and its effects.
That's something that needs further investigation
before the laws are changed.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 1 February 2015 12:02:26 PM
Foxy,

General observations from the characters I know show me that regular users of marijuana become, putting it mildly, a little daft. That's just supplementary evidence as far as I can see, the greater truth comes from the studies that show its damage to intelligence, amongst other facets of the body.

I'm an objective person, so I wouldn't class this as a 'concern', but an expectation, that when drugs are posited in a favorable light we'll see the back-alleyway teenagers misinterpret this as encouragement to keep on blazing it up.

After all, if we look at some areas of the US that are self-approinted 'liberal bedrocks', we see on further evaluation that Mary Jane is on the high end (pardon the pun) of the stats with crime and other nasty deviations.
Posted by Gaudium, Sunday, 1 February 2015 3:15:22 PM
Other than bringing relief to some very sick people I haven't heard that any benefits are proven. There are accounts that suggests it is harmful to some who become heavy smokers. If it is legalised I guess that society will learn to manage it as best it can, as with alcohol and nicotine.
Posted by d'Helm, Saturday, 7 February 2015 6:30:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy