The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What would you do?

What would you do?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I took my mother in law (nearly 90) to Macdonalds for lunch the other day. A group of 4 teenagers (3 girls and a boy) were intent on holding a conversation at the top of their voices using the vilest language possible. Personally I have heard it all and was quite embarassed on behalf of my mother in law and other elderly people their (not to mention kids). My embarassment converted to anger and I told them if they wanted to spit out diarrhea that they should go to the toilet and eat their meal in there. They were not happy and after a second confrontation they got up and left.

What would you have done? I am not sure I did the right thing and really took no pleasure in it. I came away sad more than feeling any sense of achievement.
Posted by runner, Monday, 19 January 2015 4:36:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Call on the Manager!
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 19 January 2015 8:18:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear runner,

I would have called the Manager.

The staff should have done it.

A loud and vile conversation such as
the one you describe that affects the comfort
of all patrons is the Manager's responsibility.

That sort of behaviour should not be tolerated in
any public space. And I am surprised that neither
the staff nor the Manager handled that
situation and forced you to deal
with it. That's a rather poor show and does not
speak well of that establishment. I'd write a letter
to head-office and complain because you're still
obviously upset by what happened.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 19 January 2015 8:30:04 PM
runner,

That sounded like 'toss in a can of petrol' diplomacy. ;)

Next time you might consider asking your guest if she would like to move - don't say why because it is embarrassingly obvious - and suggest an alternative. Maybe there is an outside area or perhaps even get bags from the counter (again there is no need for explanations) and saunter off somewhere else close by.

We need to think a few things through as the culture around us changes. It will help to be observant and proactive in the future.

The remaining problem is how to get rid of that unresolved stress that has you still stewing. It was no biggie, let it go. We've all been there.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 19 January 2015 10:24:18 PM
I think I would have just left myself Runner.

If a business doesn't bother to control behaviour in their premises, I am not prepared to do it for them, & will not waste my time with them.

Not only that, the confrontation obviously spoiled your day, & probably your guests day as well. Best to leave & minimise the effect on your afternoon.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 20 January 2015 12:25:03 AM
I would have left the place immediately. I always worry these sort of kids could turn violent if you say anything.
Dining in at McDonalds isn't somewhere I would take a 90 year old.
It is always full of noisy kids!

I would take her through the drive-through if she felt like a burger, and drive on to a lovely park, or beach or river to eat there.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 20 January 2015 1:08:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy