The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > At what point is a not for profit organization, a business.

At what point is a not for profit organization, a business.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
While we have many not for profit charities operating here, one has to question their legitimacy when they start to accumulate assets with their tax free dollars, which effectively means for every asset they buy (bricks and mortar), that's one less asset available to the normal tax paying individual/entity, effectively limiting the number available, a situation that can inflate market prices.

So my question is, should not for profit organisations be allowed to accumulate assets when those assets are purchased with tax free income.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 13 January 2015 7:50:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good point Rehctub.
We should start with the various religious organizations like the Catholic Church, who is one of the richest organizations on this planet!
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 14 January 2015 10:43:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually identify a particular asset? Is there any individual who actually benifits who does not pay tax?
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 14 January 2015 10:56:41 AM
Aren't those of the Catholic Church required to live by a vow of poverty ? Yet they possess real estate all over the world, worth trillions of dollars ? I'm not condemning their church nor their religion, it's just they may consider perhaps converting some of that real property to better use ? Such as building hospitals, encouraging medical Doctors to practice in the more socioeconomic areas of the world ? I'm sure they'd not miss say 10% of their total wealth ? The same could be said for the Anglicans, another Christian faith with massive real property assets in the western world at least ?

Less talk from the pulpit, more demonstrative actions, with their cheque books ! Is not charity the corner stone of Christianity ? I believe the Church would accumulate many more churchgoer's, if only the Church would substantially increase their financially support for some of the world's poorest people ? Moreover, it would work against much of this evil propaganda circulated by many of these boofheaded Islamic extremists ! Furthermore, don't actions speak louder than words ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 14 January 2015 12:51:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear rehctub,

I'm not sure what the rules are for non-profit
organisations concerning the accumulation of assets.
You might want to contact the Taxation Department.

However you ask - at what point is a not for
profit organisation considered a business? I guess
when they stop qualifying as a charitable organisation.
Again certain criteria and rules are set in place-
and need to be looked into. Most non-profit organisations
are run by a Board of Directors - not personal ownership
of the organisation - and other conditions apply - which
I suggest you Google.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 15 January 2015 3:08:53 PM
cont'd ...

The following link may help:

http://www.australia.gov.au/topics/business-and-industry/abn-acn-business-management/non-profit-organisations
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 15 January 2015 3:20:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy