The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Contempt of court

Contempt of court

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. All
Is Mise, I think that we now only have laws re killing and stealing, but not any related to the other Commandments.

Many non-Christian societies over the centuries also have laws of some kind re these two Commandments, having never heard about any supposed 'laws' written by your god.

As soon as I read that this post was put up by Banjo I knew it would be about Muslims and multiculturalism, and really nothing to do with contempt of court.
We all know there are criminals from all parts of our society....
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 30 November 2014 12:13:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suse,

You could add:

3rd, Sabbath Day: enshrined in our laws ref penalty rates etc.

6th, Adultery: No longer in criminal law but still a cause for civil action.

8th, Bearing False Witness: particularly when under oath in Court, libel laws etc.

9th, Coveting: includes criminal conspiracy to steal etc.

So that's at least four of the Ten that are in law and the others have much social impact.

One might also look at the recognition, especially in the NT, of customary Aboriginal Law (much of which is based on religious beliefs) by Courts of Law.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 30 November 2014 6:04:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm back from my trip north of the boarder (Queensland). There is more agreement than disagreement on this, from all sides.
Foxy posted from Peter Costello;
"No. this is not a big problem. There is one law we are
all expected to abide by. It is the law enacted by the
Parliament under the Australian Constitution"
I certainly agree with that. I am an atheist who supports a secular society. Muslims, Christians, Calathumpians can say what they like, when it comes to the law I say that their particular religious teachings have no fact in law what so ever. However, I am tolerant enough to accept that those who wish to partake of religion should be free to do so. Provided like any other social activity it complies with the laws and social norms of our society.
ConservativeHippie; thanks for that, a pair of clowns anyway, and I don't much care what happens to them, as long as the law is applied fairly and equally to them as it is applied to others. Which is not always the case.
Banjo said; "The criminals in my first post are born Aussie citizens and still have no respect for us or our society." You don't have to be born Muslim for that statement to ring true. These criminals, like many others, are hiding behind a religion to justify their own criminality, nothing new in that, Christians have done the very same thing for centuries. If a bishop stands up and says "The Catholic Church is not responsible for pedophile priests," Then I see that as another example of a criminal putting religion before the law, and using it as justification for their actions, a bit more complex than these pair of dopes, but still the same.
There is an overriding danger that an isolated incident like this can be used by some to scapegoat others in society. The Daily Telegraph may well have reported this fairly, but they make no effort to point out it is isolated, and is not the way Muslims act in general in our society. Guilt by association.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 30 November 2014 6:43:17 AM
Dear Is Mise,

<<Ten Commandments?>>

For your interest, even if you accept the Ten Commandments as the word of God, according to their own context they do not oblige you, but only the children of Israel.

In that context, what WOULD oblige you otherwise, are the seven laws of Noah, See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah

Briefly, these are:

1. Do Not Deny God
2. Do Not Blaspheme God
3. Do Not Murder
4. Do Not Engage in Incestuous, Adulterous or Homosexual Relationships
5. Do Not Steal
6. Do Not Eat of a Live Animal
7. Establish Courts/Legal System to Ensure Law Obedience

According to Islam, those laws were indeed God-given and held for a while, but some of them were abrogated since.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 30 November 2014 8:07:27 AM
Sonofgloin,
What I mean by ecumenical bloc is that the three faith groups work as a bloc to get things done, to build Mosques for example or to deliver aid to groups overseas.
Christian groups are selling or donating land and buildings to Muslim groups for use as places of worship and schools while assisting in the suppression of dissent by people who don't want such facilities in their community.
In terms of influencing outcomes these ecumenical blocs do wield a great deal of power over local councils and at the state level and there's considerable crossover in personnel between dissident parties like the Greens and dissident Christians and Muslims.
People freak out about links between conservative politicians and religious groups but the far more extensive co-operation between left wing Christians and Left wing politics is apparently just fine.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 30 November 2014 8:41:29 AM
Paul,

"There is an overriding danger that an isolated incident like this can be used by some to scapegoat others in society. The Daily Telegraph may well have reported this fairly, but they make no effort to point out it is isolated, and is not the way Muslims act in general in our society. Guilt by association."

Funny that you should say that, the Greens seem to apply that to all licensed, law abiding gun owners.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 30 November 2014 4:07:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16