The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Music that manages to captivate your soul ?

Music that manages to captivate your soul ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Just to say Saturday night didn't let us down. Fab night out with 'Frankie Valentine and his All Stars' Frankie gives 120% all night, something you just can get from a CD or Ipod. So folks, wherever you are and, whatever your taste in music is, if you can get to a live show, then just do it! This week for us was retro, next week its totally different with island reggae live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zsW3eVQd_M
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 10:57:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you PAUL1405...

Indeed, live music, in fact anything 'live' tends to be much better than, as you've already indicated, listening to a CD or watching a DVD ? Though sometimes we've got to accept second best when attendance is out of the question for whatever the reason. Thank you for your contribution to this topic, I really appreciate it.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 4:54:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

I have been flat out on a couple of projects so have not had a chance to dip the OLO toe in for a few weeks but thought I would sneak in a quick contribution.

I could provide a long list of songs that touch me but you asked for music “that captures our souls” and as each of us is unique then naturally so will be our lists. Quite often time and place along with life's experiences have as much to do with how much a song might move us as the quality or otherwise of the songs.

If I am to name the principal mover of my soul in the last 15 years it would have to be Archie Roach. I have been literally moved to tears listening to some of his songs.

'Took the Children Away' http://youtu.be/br83o_JpIFw but so many of his other gifts.

'Walking into Doors' http://youtu.be/XzD4JRnWHpE?list=RDbr83o_JpIFw

'Munjana' http://youtu.be/DgYDiIYKDck

One that I have on my phone at the moment 'A Child was Born Here' http://youtu.be/Rplk3qJWAaM is truly evocative has me looking at the land so differently now.

Having lost his wife (the beautiful Ruby Hunter), recovered from lung cancer and more recently a stroke, Archie Roach has copped more of his fair share of knocks but the dignity, the authenticity, the humanity of this man astounds me and his songs reverberate around this bloke's soul like none other.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 25 September 2014 12:44:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SteeleRedux, what can I say, Archie Roach, how simple words set to music can deliver such a powerful message (no wonder they often hate these people). I played 'Took The Children Away' for my partner "T" it made her cry, thinking of her own young years, came from a 'tribe' of 13 back home in Aotearoa. Enough of the politics for the moment, I say again how much I have enjoyed all the music posted by everyone, such a wide range and varied tastes everyone has. Regardless of what it is, it proves that good music, is good music, no matter what it is. I do feel sorry for our friend who thinks music is nothing more than a collection of sounds, not worth listing to, unfortunate for him. My partner said I'm bias, because she has never met anyone who simply likes ALL music except me. not so, a mate once played his recordings of air horns and jumbo jet take offs, and truthfully I didn't like that "music" at all, well not in my ear at 500 decibels.

Great tribute to Vincent Lingiari, a Kadijeri man, who was one of the earliest fighters for land rights. I remember the day Gough Whitlam poured sand into Vincent's hand as a symbolic gesture of the coming home (I don't say granting, you can't grant something that is not yours in the first place) of Aboriginal land to the people.

Archie with Sara Stoner;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hGeDj-V1c0
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 25 September 2014 7:33:08 AM
I'll go along with that too, SteeleRedux.

Saw Archie and Ruby at the Three Weeds, must have been the late eighties, unforgettable.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 25 September 2014 3:37:37 PM
Good afternoon to you STEELEREDUX...

Thank you for apprising us all of the eclectic music (and messages) of Archie ROACH a singer and lyrist I've not been fortunate enough to have previously heard. Certainly his compilations do send out powerful messages, adroitly contained within his lyrics. His, and the pain of his people are not far from the surface either, to the extent it's almost palpable as evidenced by the attentive expressions on the faces of the beguiled Adelaide crowds listening to him ?

I cast my own mind back to the sixties and the songs of Bob Dylan, and the 'messages' he sent through the medium of his music and lyrics, particularly on the morality of the Vietnam War.

There's little doubt music of all kinds does conjure up strong emotional responses in people, in ways that nothing else seems capable of doing. Archie ROACH'S music, though he was thoroughly immersed in his own private wretchedness and misery, must have utilised his own musical metier to aid him in his quest for finding exactly the right word, or right phrase for the many messages that are contained in his extensive repertoire.

I find it quite extraordinary really how, out of some moment of terrible sadness or some profound anguish, can emerge words of such beauty and sustained encouragement of hope, like nothing else seems capable of doing ? Truly amazing.

Thank you STEELEREDUX for your thoughtful contribution.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 25 September 2014 4:01:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy