The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bike riders. Have the made a rod for their own backs.

Bike riders. Have the made a rod for their own backs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I saw two bikes the other day sliding up the inside of traffic to get to the front at the lights.

Now these two guys KNOWINGLY placed themselves within the 1 or 1.5 m restriction zone and, they made an illegal pass for which they can now be finned for.

Surely they can't put themselves inside the restriction zone!

They (bike riders) pushed, and pushed, and pushed, to the point that they are now treated to some extent just like any other road user. And rightly so I say.

Perhaps they don't believe in the saying, be careful what you wish for as you may not like the result.

They have made a rod for their own backs.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 9:33:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The two bike riders were going up the inside of traffic at the traffic lights… presumably while the traffic was stationary.

Up along the left side of the road, I presume you mean.

Nothing illegal about that is there?

If the vehicles were moving, even slightly, then the 1 metre rule would apply. But not if they are stationary.

What ‘illegal pass’ did they make? Sorry rehctub, I don’t understand that bit.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 9:48:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig I was of the understanding that bikes are now treated the same way as cars on the foods and, it is illegal to squeeze past a vehicle on the left side if there is no lane. In other words, in the same lane.

They also do it through the centre of lanes, the same way motor cycles do and they can be booked for that.

Besides, when you say a vehicle is stationary, what happens if the lights change before the bike rider reaches the front of the line and the vehicle moves, who's in the wrong then?

Sorry, but I don't think they can have an each way bet here, because after all, it's the bike riders who are on about road safety and the lack of respect shown to them by some motorists.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 10 July 2014 7:28:45 AM
Interesting point, does anybody know the legal detail? I was moving slightly yesterday on the way home when a bike went past on the left. He looked closer than 1m as he passed the vehicle in front of me. No safety issue at all in that but cops don't always fine on the basis of common sense.

I hear complaints on the radio recently from bike riders complaining about police doing incrased enforcement of bike riders in regard to red lights, stop signs and speeding. The specific complaint was they are not required to carry a speedo so why should they be booked for speeding. Not sure I've ever been able to exceed a speed limit on a push bike but some are much faster than me.

Some do seem to be very good at wanting vehicle drivers to give them lots of respect on the road whilst ignoring how often road rules are ignored by cyclists. I'm also wondering how long before certain sections of road are not allowed for bikes, those places where there is no safe place to allow that passing distance and often heavy traffic.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 10 July 2014 7:46:09 AM
DEAR ROBERT/the point re speeding/one soonlearns to speed-up/going down-hill hoping to coast most the way up the next hill
[and from what i saw/the speed trap was downhill[but the numbers indicate they need it to\pass the higher courts/SO BOOKED I THINK ITS 40 EXPECTINg A FW TO GO TO APPEAL..its al a joke really

yes i was doing 40 down the hill/but 6 k or less uphill]you want i shouls wash off speed a the botum of a hil?put stop signs at the bottum of the hills

is about passing laws makes those under the law subject to the law
getting a revenue stream/but unlike/the road rules we never beggeD[APPLIED]/FOR BENIFITS UNDER THE transportation/TRAFFIC ACt/THUS GET NO burden

APPART FROM US LOOSING EVERY TIME WE GET HIT
there are no safe places to ride/unless you want to meaNER/aloNG BIKE TRACKS/that are really walking tracks for tourists/thing is try riding a bike in traffic/you might love sitting behind your egzaust gas/we dont.

thing is you poor thing
that nasty bike rider we will get him for you
run them over make them extinct/bike riders are te biggest real and present danger/i feel safe when i see a cop talking to a biker without a helmit/so just keep on texting/chatting napping

yes others are the problem
not u/your perfect/for a whiny grumpy old man
[its lie some one is watching my life unwind/because i didnt pay a sin tax court fine/im limited to ridng bikes now/or walking/thanks heaps govt/ITS A GOOD THING I USED TO ONLY GO OUT IN THE AUTO/TWICE A MONTH[YET STILL NEED PAY FULL 3 RD PArty insurance[DESPITE USING ONLY ONE TANK OF FUEL A YEAR/5 BUCKS FOR FUEL/600 FOR REGO

NOW YA WANT BIKE REGO/HOW MUCH FOR UNDeR 100 MILES A Year?
screw govt ignorance that hears whiners wanting REVENUE*

TRY RIDING A BIKE FOR ONE DAY
I BET YA GET THREATENED AT LEAST TWICE
and fools protected by two to 5 tons of metal feel real brave

ignore them johan
karma fixes anything.[in time]
just have another fag/we know we pay our way

e
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 10 July 2014 9:13:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< Ludwig I was of the understanding that… …it is illegal to squeeze past a vehicle on the left side if there is no lane. In other words; in the same lane. >>

I can’t imagine why it would be, rehctub. Cars pass cyclists in the same lane all the time. Cyclists whip past cars in a queue that are just moving along slowly, in the same lane. Always have. There’s never been anything wrong with that has there?

Technically they need to be at least 1 metre from vehicles as they pass, if those vehicles are moving even slightly. But this requirement does not apply if vehicles are stationary.

It could be foolish for a cyclist to get out between queued lanes of traffic in order to move forward at the light, as the lights may change and put them in a difficult position. But, I can’t see how it would be illegal for them to do that.

Yes it does present technical legal difficulties when the lights change to green and the traffic starts to move, as to who is in the wrong if a cyclist has moved forward next to a car at the front of the line and is less than I metre from it.

But hey, our police are smart people. They’ve got enormous discretionary powers. They will make the right decisions every time regarding things like this………………………… won’t they¿?¿?
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 10 July 2014 10:39:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy