The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > US Union Jack

US Union Jack

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Just for general interest, why do many United States vessels fly the Union Jack?
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 15 June 2014 8:11:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The US Union Jack - in the US, holidays and Sundays when at anchor or tied up.

Are you getting it confused?
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 16 June 2014 2:13:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not at all, just interested in comments.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 16 June 2014 9:48:27 AM
The US Union Jack is the part of their national flag with the stars in it. The stars represent the member states, so the jack itself has changed over the years to accommodate the additional numbers.

http://navyadvancement.tpub.com/14325/css/14325_120.htm

The "other" Union Jack is the national flag of the United Kingdom.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/UnionJack.aspx

Hope this helps.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 16 June 2014 10:29:42 AM
Is Mise,

Ok you know the difference and Pericles has taken the trouble to spell it out.

As a boatie I am interested in flag etiquette but few others might be. That explains why I was a little surprised by your curiosity. The communication of flags and the traditions are passing quickly. I am no expert. The US Jack is the canton, as is the UK Jack.

While on flags, the Australian merchant marine proudly stick to the tradition of the Red Ensign. It is tradition. Some interfering fool of a PM (Gough) interfered, but eventually went away. Although he was able to rule some Presidential (sic) force on the Navy practice, where his memory still stinks. Now some soldier of the Left will take offence at that, OLO being OLO. LOL
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 16 June 2014 11:08:06 AM
My flag is the Upper Murray River flag. Been my ensign for 20 years, and always flies atop of the poll.
Posted by 579, Monday, 16 June 2014 3:39:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy