The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Don't Call Me A Problem!

Don't Call Me A Problem!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. All
MKK, Do you mean settler culture, the culture to which Rosalie Kunoth Monks and I both belong via our German forebears?
There's only one history of Australian culture, all that separates us is regional differences in customs and dialect I feel exactly the same way Rosalie does, my re writing of her speech isn't parody.
It's progressives like you and Yuyutsu and Foxy who are the problem, I'm from one of the first nations,the Whites, I'm not the problem.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 11:43:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jay,

<<It's progressives like you and Yuyutsu and Foxy who are the problem>>

I fail to understand, have I missed something?

According to dictionary.com:

pro·gres·sive, adjective:

1. favouring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, especially in political matters.

2. making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods, etc.

3. characterized by such progress, or by continuous improvement.

4. of or pertaining to any of the Progressive parties in politics.

5. going forward or onward; passing successively from one member of a series to the next; proceeding step by step.

Accordingly, I should think that supporting someone of an ancient primitive culture, their dignity, autonomy and freedom to continue living without interference as their ancestors lived for thousands of years, would rather be considered regressive (an attribute which I would have nothing to be ashamed of), so this is a complete surprise to me: I was never called that before, so can you or anyone else please explain what "progressive" means?

Thank you.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 12 June 2014 12:17:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy not having seen the show I'm missing the context for the problem part of her comments. In part words that apply to most of us regarding our sovereign humanity.

I pretty much agree with Jay's rewrite of her comments, I am a sovereign human being and quite frankly pretty tired of people suggesting I by my whiteness (and the origins of my ancestors) are the problem.

In regard to culture, the culture I live in now is very different to the one I grew up in (about 100 km by road from where I now live). Australia has changed and will continue to to change, some good, some bad. I'm progressive enough to prefer that to stagnation or clinging to the bad for the sake of some historical or imagined remberance of culture.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 12 June 2014 5:36:23 AM
Dear Jay, I just want to say that I will not be quoting dictionary definitions.
I understand what you're saying, but can you answer this: why do all those responding to you repudiate the idea that another advanced culture would have come across this land and altered the sainted indigenous lifestyle?
Do you think it's an evil thing to have been the first there?
Posted by Stanley of Sligo, Thursday, 12 June 2014 5:38:29 AM
"Pilger’s polemic fails Australia and Aborigines"
An informative article in the Alice Springs News. See here,
http://www.alicespringsnews.com.au/2014/01/27/pilgers-polemic-wide-of-the-mark-on-australia-and-aborigines/
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 12 June 2014 6:03:43 AM
mikk,
may i suggest you look up the definition of culture & existence & evolution?
I deal with all three on an hourly basis & I gurantee you I know a thing or two after 40 years in this environment.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 12 June 2014 6:21:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy