The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia's ecological footprint - we must reduce our population intake

Australia's ecological footprint - we must reduce our population intake

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Many people who have commented don't realise that every person living in Australia has an ecological footprint. It doesn't matter if it comes from a person living here now, children living in the future or by increased immigration of any type. Yes there will be impacts from people from middle class countries to consider re population and environmental impacts. I'm not denying that.

People from more financially well off countries, should be targeted first - after all they can afford to live in their own home. Other populations decided individually.

With Australia's limited natural resources and environmental issues we face at present - we must keep Australia's population at a sustainable level.

Some believe technology will fix all of Australia's population related problems - like rubbish, car pollution, basic housing and lack of energy efficiency - but where is the evidence? Technology? Sorry - it is just a belief.

Bigger population numbers do not leave Australia better off environmentally - and it is not helped by increasing population numbers.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 3 June 2014 6:06:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nhoj, I do not consider myself racist.

I love my country but I do hate anything that threatens our peaceful nation, such as certain religions that harbor hate and violence against it's people, which we are one of their targets as being one day considered their people.

Also I don't like lazy layabouts who cry fowl yet receive what is generally unconditional support yet refuse to better themselves.

As for immigration, MY ONLY CONCERN with regards to immigration, IS JOBS, NOTHING MORE other than a certain religion as previously mentioned.

Now if by me thinking this way makes me racists, then I am PROUDLY guilty as charged.

On the other hand, if this makes me racist to the likes of you, then your opinion of me does not occupy enough of my SPARE TIME to warrant a care factor, as your opinions are simply not on my radar.

Now I recall you referred to me as retired. Sorry to inform you that I am not retired, simply semi retired and only earning about $120K these days. It's tough at times, but I do manage. I so miss the land lords, the creditors, the debtors, the staff, the compliance red tape. NOT!
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 3 June 2014 6:32:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< I am not convinced that my personal ecological footprint… is a justification for lowering our intake of immigrants. In fact, surely the opposite would seem more likely to be the case. >>

Wow Pericles, that’s a strange piece of reasoning.

Maybe immigrants do have footprints a little less than the Australian average. But it is not about average footprints, it is about the total footprint. Obviously a whole lot more people, even if they do have below-average footprints, are going to make the overall footprint considerably larger.

As Divergence says:

<< Nature doesn't do per capita >>

Yes WWF’s position seems lopsided to say the least, being focussed on per-capita footprints and not on the total footprint. But that’s no excuse for your very odd pro-high-immigration and per-capita-footprint-with-no-consideration-of-the-total-footprint stance, which after all our discussions on population/immigration/economy, you must surely realise is fundamentally flawed.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 3 June 2014 7:23:10 PM
<< The greenies will twist themselves inside out to avoid the racial/cultural ramifications of immigration. >>

Not sure about that Shocka.

The greenies just avoid the issue of immigration / population growth like the plague!

That’s what makes greenies very different from true environmentalists / sustainabilityists!
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 3 June 2014 7:34:56 PM
What Ludwig is "trying" to say is that he's a greenie without a backbone and without a conscience. Ludwig will NEVER criticize the immigration racists on this form ..... he's in alliance with them.
Posted by Nhoj, Tuesday, 3 June 2014 7:56:46 PM
Nhoj.....Its your planet....

Kat
Posted by ORIGINS OF MAN, Tuesday, 3 June 2014 9:36:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All