The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are you willing to throw away the car keys?

Are you willing to throw away the car keys?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Today when I was "walking" home, a young person zoomed around a roundabout - with loud music pumping in the background. At the same time, over the last few days on nightly news services - there have been multiple car crashes with young adults/teenagers dying due to road accidents. Families shown were devastated.

L Plate driving training should be made stronger, with more time spent.

Those who take a rough approach to driving should have their license taken off them for a period of time, including older adults (not a fine) - so they learn a lesson that bad, reckless driving isn't "O.K" - unless they can prove they have a strong case against losing their license.
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 26 April 2014 5:43:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In terms of my above comment - there would be people (by not getting a fine) but still not wanting to "throw away the car keys" - could learn that alternative options like cycling, walking and public transport can be a good thing to have in your life - and not end up in a car wreck.
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 26 April 2014 6:05:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I gave up cycling about five years ago, after having been a cyclist for 40 years, including a lot of commuting to school and uni in WA and work in QLD.

I gave it up because I did not want to end up in a bicycle wreck.

I eventually realised just how dangerous it is to mix it up with cars and trucks, especially when you want to move along at a reasonable speed... and how lucky I had been over the years not to have come seriously unstuck!
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 27 April 2014 9:04:18 AM
Natham,
Far be it for me to stifle you from thinking about matters, but am wondering if you have ever dug a post hole, laid a brick, chopped down a tree or mixed concrete. I get the impression that you have not done a weeks physical work.

I have noticed over the years that those who do physical work tend to be more practical than others. Nothing is too difficult for those that don't have to do it themselves.

Hasbeen, I think it would have been a pretty long day for you to plough 2 acres with one horse, so Bazz should do his maths again. My grandparents lived 50kls from town so getting provisions was a 2 day exercise with a stay overnight. Some drive that far now just for a coca cola fix and certainly do for a packet of smokes, or a 6 pack.

Throwaway the car keys, never in a million years.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 27 April 2014 12:09:11 PM
Hello Hasbeen,

I have Diploma qaulifications through TAFE and yes I do work.

The throw away line of "never in a million years" is exactly the problem - of both a lot of people and government.

Can we keep affording to construct $15 million dollar "overpasses" so some people don't have to wait in their car for 30 seconds at a traffic light? Governments will gladly bring these in as they are popular. I have seen some of these overpasses and they are huge. When they need replacement or repair, the taxpayer will be picking up the tab.

However when it comes to better public transport or affordable, well designed solar/electric style cars which in my view must be the way of the future in some form - governments seem to stay away. Why?
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 27 April 2014 2:20:01 PM
Banjo, the figures I stated were just guesses for use from a
remembered article but they illustrated the point I was making.

Re never in a million years, oh yes, you could hitch one of Hasbeen's
horses to your car and giddap and away you will go !
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 27 April 2014 7:15:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy