The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What a ball

What a ball

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I mentioned the Duke of York’s Ball in another thread. There would be very few people on earth who would have any idea what I’m talking about, or be lucky enough to have attended one.

The Duke of York Islands are a smallish group of islands, some 20 miles out of Rabaul, about mid way between New Britain, & New Ireland in PNG. The Rabaul Yacht club held the "ball" on the islands once a year.

The ball was actually an overnight bar-b-que & party, on a glorious coconut palm shaded sandy beach on one of the islands, well away from any villages, in a sheltered cove. It is one of those rare beaches steep too, [deep water right up to the beach], where you can drop a stern anchor nose up to the beach, tie the bow to a coconut palm, & step ashore. Well you can if you have a ladder.

There were 12 yachts side by side nose into the beach, so at least 120 people, & perhaps more. I had 10, including 3 ladies who had arrived in ball gowns & dancing pumps. When the “ball” was explained, off came the shoes & stockings, but it was hitched up ball gowns as we sailed out.

I was amazed at the talent of some singers, & the flute one lady played, on that still crystal clear tropical night, sounded as if coming from the sky.

The next morning we were roused about 6.00 AM by some beautifully sung hymns, from a village church about 300 meters away across the bay. It is one of the old churches built of 2Ft thick coral blocks, & does magical things to sound.

You can miss a lot living in isolated places, but boy don’t some of the unique experiences make up for it. It was a pretty special experience. My only regret was not having someone special to share it with.

What unusual, but really good, [or bad for that matter] experiences have others had?
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 27 December 2013 1:55:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hassie,

Thank You for this thread and for sharing your
experience of the Duke's Ball with us.
You've certainly led an interesting life.
I've been to my share of Balls - the most memorable
was held at a Library Conference, in country
Victoria - where the Ballroom was made out
to look like something out of the Arabian Nights
(Scherazade). The Committee was out to really
impress the overseas guests and speakers.
Admittedly - they did a good job.
It was magical. Something that dreams are
made of, it was full-on, no holds barred "putting on
the Ritz," evening. An evening of unashamed extravagance.

Still, I also remember summers by the sea, wind-blown hair,
bare feet, pre-washed denims, turquoise and silver,
winters on the ski-slopes, a cup of hot chocolate,
fire-light and guitar music, a lazy sea lapping gently
on silver sand, sailing from familiar shores, tear-filled
eyes of family and friends, a distant waving of a
hankerchief, until the coming of darkness engulfed
even the sound of sea-gulls.

We all have stories to tell, I guess that's part of the
reason why I love the Mason Williams poem:

"Come my love and we shall wander
All of life to see and know
In the season's lostward rambling
All Things come and all things go

We shall climb the snowy mountains
Sail across the rolling sea
We shall live for one another
I for you and you for me

We'll go down to green grass meadows
Where the cold winds never blow
If we taste the wine of loving
Only you and I shall know

Come my love and we shall wander
Just to see what we can find
If we only find each other
Still the journey's worth the time."
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 27 December 2013 6:08:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Hasbeen and Foxy, I haven't been to any grand balls like you two have, but I have had magical experiences.

I lived and worked in Darwin in my mid 20's, and us nurses used to 'go bush' in someone's 4 wheel drive whenever we got the chance.

One weekend a group of 5 of us nurses went to camp at a gorge about 600kms from Darwin. It had a beautiful river next to our campsite and not another soul in sight for 3 days. The freshwater crocs never bothered us, and it was too hot to avoid that River.

We played music on the car stereo and danced around our campfire, swam naked, cooked fine gourmet meals over the campfire, and just had a relaxing time.

On our last night we heard a loud roaring noise coming closer and closer, and over the hill came 4 guys on motorbikes.
They were competing in some Darwin to Adelaide outback race.

We made them a meal and they pitched their tents beside ours and we danced all night in our sarongs!
Just as good as any ball...
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 28 December 2013 1:13:34 AM
Dear Suse,

Sounds wonderful!

I've always wanted to travel up to the top-end
and experience some of what you write about.
Hopefully one day I'll get there yet.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 28 December 2013 8:55:40 AM
Almost makes me want a Motorbike Suse.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 28 December 2013 10:24:14 AM
I remember times of reflection in various places. I wandered a bit in my younger years, usually work related. I would often just take in my surroundings and watch the activities and such like around me. These have stuck.
Just a couple.
Corrientes, Argentina early morning, enjoying coffee on the bank of the Parana river and watching the activity. For some reason this has remained with me over many years. Peaceful back then.
I can recall looking in awe at the 'Redeemer' in Rio many years ago. This is no humble Christ figure, this is absolute power on display. Not the usual battered and tortured personification looking heavenward but the Christ magnificent looking down on his people. It held my attention for quite some time and has stayed with me.
I am not religious but impressive the 'Redeemer' is.
Too many to write about.
Take it easy.
SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Saturday, 28 December 2013 11:16:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy